Linux 5.3 Is Another Busy Kernel Merge Window Even For The Summer Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.3 Is Another Busy Kernel Merge Window Even For The Summer Months

Phoronix: Linux 5.3 Is Another Busy Kernel Merge Window Even For The Summer Months

While just being a few days into the two-week long merge window for Linux 5.3, it's certainly another busy cycle even when considering the summer months tend to be a bit slower for developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> ext4: use jbd2_inode dirty range scoping woo! I've been looking forward to this one. > The easiest way to cause this type of workload is do just dd from /dev/zero to a file until it fills the entire filesystem. This can cause journal_finish_inode_data_buffers() to wait for the duration of the entire dd operation. I.e. `dd`, or file copies, can cause fsync() to delay indefinitely. My Firefox install really doesn't like that - the UI remains responsive, but it really delays page loads. Running this test on a mechanical HDD, the patch really helps.

Comment

Working...
    X