Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 For Linux 5.3 Gets Fixes & Faster Case-Insensitive Lookups

Phoronix: EXT4 For Linux 5.3 Gets Fixes & Faster Case-Insensitive Lookups

The EXT4 file-system updates have already landed for the Linux 5.3 kernel merge window that opened this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really hoping Ubuntu 20.04 will have this...

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      I'm really hoping Ubuntu 20.04 will have this...
      being that I am sure this is the kernel that will ship for 19.10.. i think you will get your wish

Comment

Why would we want to use that for Wine Staging?
        I’d be very surprised if Wine didn’t already take care of case sensivity itself. I have used many games that worked fine on case-sensitive ext4.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          Why would we want to use that for Wine Staging?
          I’d be very surprised if Wine didn’t already take care of case sensivity itself. I have used many games that worked fine on case-sensitive ext4.
          probably in fs it can be made faster (using indexes instead of reading everything and then searching)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            probably in fs it can be made faster (using indexes instead of reading everything and then searching)
            I agree!

This isn't just because of interoperability and compatibility, but also for performance reasons.

Wine and Samba not just can provide compatibility and interoperability with such proprietary APIs, but also similar or better performance than the original implementations of them.

Comment

Working...
            X