No announcement yet.

utility for controlling GPU fan speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utility for controlling GPU fan speeds?

Is there an application for Linux that can control fan speeds for video cards, much like RivaTuner for Windows?

Does ATITOOL, Systool and Rivatuner work on Linux? Or maybe another tool that can work in Linux for ATI cards?

I have heard of nvclock. Does that work? How well does it work? Do you have to own an nvidia card to use it (that may be a dumb question)?

I doubt that there's any good overclocking tool but that is not really what I'm looking for anyway. I just wanted a tool that could speed up the fan if it ever gets too hot or if I just want the fan to run a bit faster.

How much would case fan cooling cool down a card and how much can fans effect temperatures?

How many degrees could good cooling or sufficient number of fans reduce temps?

My current Nvidia EVGA 7950 GT card runs at about 52 degrees usually but I've seen it go up to 60 (and I'm not sure why). I think these temps are acceptable and I only have an Antec Solo case with the standard 12cm case fans in there.

If I upgrade, I might have to upgrade the case to have more fans as the temps will surely be higher considering these new powerful video cards, right?

Video cards I am interested in include:
    ATI 4850
    Nvidia 9600 GT
    Nvidia 9800 GT or 9800 GTX+ (I want the 55nm variety and not sure if there is any way to tell a card is a newer 9800GT - anyone know?)

I think those cards will run at about 60 degrees at idle. Something like that?

For the nvidia cards you can use the lastest nvclock beta. I've not had any problems but support for series 9 cards isn't complete although I believe for just controlling the fan speed it's fine. Not a clue on the ATI card sorry.

Coolbits backend on the nvidia-settings might let you control the fan speed... I can't remember anymore but you might like to check it out.

Comment

That's one reason I'll probably upgrade to an Nvidia card. I have always got 'hand-me-downs' or used cards. So, I will take my time and weigh all the options.

I really believe in keeping the video card cool. I think it has to be among the hardware that gets the most hot (Cpu, too, though).

I'd like something that can control the fan speed. If, in Linux, the only utility is for nvidia cards and nvidia cards have less serious issues, overall, than ATI, well then that makes the choice for me rather easy, I'm afraid. Even though, it's proprietary drivers you'll probably use and there are serious issues here and there, on the most part, they are easier to deal with than with ATI's drivers?

I want *some* features in comparison to Windows so if I have to use nvclock and there's nothing similar for ATI, that makes it difficult to choose ATI unless there is a plan for a utility for ATI cards in the near future.

Comment

You can set the fan speed on an ATI card the following way.
        Code:
        aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 15"
        It will set the fanspeed for card 0 to 15%. It will override the automatic control of the fan. So your card may overheat if set to low.

Other useful pplib commands are
        Code:
        aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"
        aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get temperature 0"

Comment

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 15"
          It will set the fanspeed for card 0 to 15%. It will override the automatic control of the fan. So your card may overheat if set to low.
          Do you mean the values are from 0 to 15?

Which ATI cards will work with this program, aticonfig? Do you know?

I'm particularly interested in a utility that will adjust the fan speed of the ATI 4850 and 4870 cards. I'd want a utility that could help in keeping those cool.

I think the reference models run rather hot?

Else, I'd have to only consider an Nvidia card since Linux users have nvclock and there are some you can buy with an aftermarket cooler.

Something like this for 4870? Else, I'd consider the 4850 since they're cheaper.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...1&promoid=1088

Comment

Can you have ATICONFIG without FGLRX?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix
              Do you mean the values are from 0 to 15?
              No, it sets the fan speed for card 0 to 15%.

Originally posted by Panix
              Which ATI cards will work with this program, aticonfig? Do you know?
              I think r600 and above.

Originally posted by rbmorse
              Can you have ATICONFIG without FGLRX?
              No, it depends on the fglrx driver. I don't know how far the open-source drivers are in regards to power management.

Comment

I have an RS780 onboard and here it does not work

# aticonfig -v --lsp
                Error: POWERplay is not supported on your hardware.

Let's hope for the free drivers.

Comment

Working...
                X