Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EROFS Looking To Be Promoted Out Of Linux's Staging Area

Phoronix: EROFS Looking To Be Promoted Out Of Linux's Staging Area

Huawei's EROFS file-system has been part of the mainline Linux kernel for about one year albeit as part of the "staging" area until it's been proven stable and mature. Now with this file-system reportedly in use on "10+ millions of Huawei Android mobile phones", they are looking to have this file-system promoted out of staging...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...taging-Promote

I guess this is why people use Gentoo so they dont have to compile this in

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      A Gentoo user laughs here.
      Anyway I think it isn't that hard to get the exact same sources which are used by distribution X with their package manager and then compile the same kernel but without the EROFS.

On the other hand... EROFS could be useful in some containered packages. I mean appImage etc... But that's putting a filesystem on top of another. Might not be so good after all.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Arch user spotted.

Most distros I know (OpenSUSE, CentOS, Debian and their derivatives and friends) ship filesystem drivers as modules and load them in an initrd image so they are available on boot to mount the rootfs, drivers aren't usually compiled in.

Comment

Working...
        X