Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 4.12 Supports More Plug & Play Drivers, Better Visual Studio Remote Debugging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Internet Explorer is replaced with a modified version of Firefox in Wine, as plenty of old applications rely on iexplore.exe, and I assume you could do a similar thing with Windows Media Player. That software is so deeply integrated into Windows, that it's the only way to provide a much needed replacement for it. I assume you could take something like VLC and try to simulate behavior of WMP to allow legacy software to use it instead.
    If we're going to pick a player to replace WMP then I think adopting MPC-HC would be a better choice since it mimics the old WMP versions.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Since modern versions of Windows are trash at running legacy software, I just spin up a virtual machine with an era accurate version of Windows (or the closest thing that virtualizes well), and run this sort of software there. Also, IIRC that old port of FFVII had game breaking bugs that were never fixed. Just emulate PSOne, it has the superior version anyway, and whatever else you might want out of the game can be provided by the emulator.
      They were fixed by the (Qhimm, I think) community. Those fixes, high-def graphical mods, and more (lots more) make the old PC version with the 7th Heaven modding tool the definitive version these days (or the Steam version downgraded to old-school PC version...yes, that's a thing).

Back in the day with the various GS codes and PPF patches I'd have agreed with you. These days that isn't the case since the PSX version just can't handle the level of modding they're able to do.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They were fixed by the (Qhimm, I think) community. Those fixes, high-def graphical mods, and more (lots more) make the old PC version with the 7th Heaven modding tool the definitive version these days (or the Steam version downgraded to old-school PC version...yes, that's a thing).

Back in the day with the various GS codes and PPF patches I'd have agreed with you. These days that isn't the case since the PSX version just can't handle the level of modding they're able to do.
        This sounds really intriguing, I never really played the Final Fantasy games but I plan on doing it eventually. Can you tell me more about what kind of mods are polular?

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

This sounds really intriguing, I never really played the Final Fantasy games but I plan on doing it eventually. Can you tell me more about what kind of mods are polular?
          There is just so much available that's it's better if you just go to the Qhimm community and go down the rabbit hole.

As far as VII is concerned, the 7th Heaven tool is a great place to start since it automatically downloads and installs various mods and its thread explains all the steps to get it setup and working. I haven't had any success using them on Linux due to the .bat scripts throwing errors with Wine but they work just fine on Windows 10 LTSB.

Final Fantasy Tactics has it's own modding community over at FFHacktics and there are so many mods available that I wouldn't even know where to begin other than by saying that I really like FFT Kind Of (PSX).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

There is just so much available that's it's better if you just go to the Qhimm community and go down the rabbit hole.

As far as VII is concerned, the 7th Heaven tool is a great place to start since it automatically downloads and installs various mods and its thread explains all the steps to get it setup and working. I haven't had any success using them on Linux due to the .bat scripts throwing errors with Wine but they work just fine on Windows 10 LTSB.

Final Fantasy Tactics has it's own modding community over at FFHacktics and there are so many mods available that I wouldn't even know where to begin other than by saying that I really like FFT Kind Of (PSX).
            I'll check them out, thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
            X