Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 4.12 Supports More Plug & Play Drivers, Better Visual Studio Remote Debugging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine 4.12 Supports More Plug & Play Drivers, Better Visual Studio Remote Debugging

    Phoronix: Wine 4.12 Supports More Plug & Play Drivers, Better Visual Studio Remote Debugging

    Wine 4.12 is now available as the newest bi-weekly development release of this program for running Windows software on Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-4.12-Released

  • #2
    When wine supports simple things like Windows Media Player, and Plug and Play devices likes iLock, it will erase any reason for Windows. But for some reason they simply will not.

    So people are forever constrained to dual boot, and as statistics have long indicated, they end up dual booting to Windows.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      So people are forever constrained to dual boot, and as statistics have long indicated, they end up dual booting to Windows.
      Yeah this is true, I am taking a break from my Linux boot for a while now (2months now) as I need to do things which are just too annoying/frustrating under Linux (modding with .net apps). I wish WINE had better .NET multi-thread support so certain applications were more functional.

      Comment


      • #4
        wine is almost useless above all to play games by both cd-rom and dvd.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          When wine supports simple things like Windows Media Player, and Plug and Play devices likes iLock, it will erase any reason for Windows. But for some reason they simply will not.

          So people are forever constrained to dual boot, and as statistics have long indicated, they end up dual booting to Windows.
          Why do you need Windows Media Player? I don't think it's likely Wine will ever support it, as I assume it's deeply integrated into Windows, and getting it to run under Wine is just as feasible as running Internet Explorer in it, which is pretty much just running the Windows kernel.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

            Why do you need Windows Media Player? I don't think it's likely Wine will ever support it, as I assume it's deeply integrated into Windows, and getting it to run under Wine is just as feasible as running Internet Explorer in it, which is pretty much just running the Windows kernel.
            Windows Media Player is widely used in legacy applications for media decoding. It's the same story with Internet Explorer; legacy applications used it as an embedded browser.

            In modern applications the trend is to instead use ffmpeg and Chromium.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              When wine supports simple things like Windows Media Player
              "simple things"

              Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              and Plug and Play devices likes iLock
              If you mean iLok, unlikely to ever be supported as it's a hardware device. Unless it's supported in the Linux kernel to begin with. Nightmare for any hardware dev to support Linux due to ABI breakage on drivers.

              Your best bet is to use cracks that completely bypass iLok (of course assuming you purchased the software).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by theriddick View Post

                Yeah this is true, I am taking a break from my Linux boot for a while now (2months now) as I need to do things which are just too annoying/frustrating under Linux (modding with .net apps). I wish WINE had better .NET multi-thread support so certain applications were more functional.
                Random older games and mod tools are my main reasons for needing Windows installed at all. For an example, Wine likes to act up with FFVII from 1998 and with the various tools at Qhimm like 7th Heaven. Everything else I do on a computer I have a good enough way to do it on Linux.

                Most of my newer games do work with Wine, most of their tools, however, don't. That's mostly due to DXVK/D9VK being better than WineD3D and better OpenGL support with the AMDGPU driver that "fixed" games like Wolfenstein...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post

                  Windows Media Player is widely used in legacy applications for media decoding. It's the same story with Internet Explorer; legacy applications used it as an embedded browser.

                  In modern applications the trend is to instead use ffmpeg and Chromium.
                  Internet Explorer is replaced with a modified version of Firefox in Wine, as plenty of old applications rely on iexplore.exe, and I assume you could do a similar thing with Windows Media Player. That software is so deeply integrated into Windows, that it's the only way to provide a much needed replacement for it. I assume you could take something like VLC and try to simulate behavior of WMP to allow legacy software to use it instead.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                    Random older games and mod tools are my main reasons for needing Windows installed at all. For an example, Wine likes to act up with FFVII from 1998 and with the various tools at Qhimm like 7th Heaven. Everything else I do on a computer I have a good enough way to do it on Linux.

                    Most of my newer games do work with Wine, most of their tools, however, don't. That's mostly due to DXVK/D9VK being better than WineD3D and better OpenGL support with the AMDGPU driver that "fixed" games like Wolfenstein...
                    Since modern versions of Windows are trash at running legacy software, I just spin up a virtual machine with an era accurate version of Windows (or the closest thing that virtualizes well), and run this sort of software there. Also, IIRC that old port of FFVII had game breaking bugs that were never fixed. Just emulate PSOne, it has the superior version anyway, and whatever else you might want out of the game can be provided by the emulator.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X