Linux's Performance-Boosting FSGSBASE Support Dropped For Now Over Serious Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

I didn't mean that the code didn't have issues or that the Intel dev shouldn't have payed more attention.
    I am saying that all matters is that "blatantly never tested code" was merged by that guy. This could have reached far further. The fact that the developer has been supposedly annoying in any way does not help with that (quite the contrary in fact).
    If he didn't even bother checking if those patches worked, what kind of reviewing does this even get? This easily could have been a regression actually landing in Linux.
    I know, but the maintainer did them a favor. So attacking him isn't right in my opinion. He thought Intel tested this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Please don't drag Monsanto down to Intels levels here. That is just parroting the anti-GMO trolls propaganda.
      Not everyone wants to eat GMO food. There were GMO free countries, but then it was forced on them for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post

Not everyone wants to eat GMO food. There were GMO free countries, but then it was forced on them for some reason.
        Where there black helicopters involved? And do you actually believe that a small company such as Monsanto have any leverage what so ever in forcing a country to use or not use something (small hint: there are far larger GMO companies than Monsanto and there are organic food chains in the US that are larger than Monsanto)?

Btw are you even sure that they where GMO foods? I ask because most GMO:s are modified for the growing part of the plants life so the produce (aka the actual food) is genetically identical to that produced by non-GMO crops. Or are you worried about the poor people in developed countries that might get golden rice in the future and now have to suffer to no longer die or get blind from vitamin A deficiency?

Comment

Where there black helicopters involved? And do you actually believe that a small company such as Monsanto have any leverage what so ever in forcing a country to use or not use something (small hint: there are far larger GMO companies than Monsanto and there are organic food chains in the US that are larger than Monsanto)?
          I wasn't according to Monsanto in this case. There are usually politicians involved and they're the main culprit.

Btw are you even sure that they where GMO foods? I ask because most GMO:s are modified for the growing part of the plants life so the produce (aka the actual food) is genetically identical to that produced by non-GMO crops. Or are you worried about the poor people in developed countries that might get golden rice in the future and now have to suffer to no longer die or get blind from vitamin A deficiency?

I'm talking about countries which don't need 'improved' food. Poland for example was fully self sufficient, but GMO food was thrown on us for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post

The code compiled and the patches "worked" superficially. Go look at the initial quote:
            Regression testing"? What's that? If it compiles, it is good; if it boots up, it is perfect.
            -- Linus Torvalds
            That is all.

Comment

I wasn't according to Monsanto in this case. There are usually politicians involved and they're the main culprit.

I'm talking about countries which don't need 'improved' food. Poland for example was fully self sufficient, but GMO food was thrown on us for no reason.
              There are a lot of Countries in Europe( not only in EU, but also here.. ), where GMO is NOT Legal..
              Why Poland uses it?

Comment

Please don't drag Monsanto down to Intels levels here. That is just parroting the anti-GMO trolls propaganda.
                Monsanto is still evil though, even if "anti-GMO" movements are basically antivax bullshit.

Comment

most GMO:s are modified for the growing part of the plants life so the produce (aka the actual food) is genetically identical to that produced by non-GMO crops
                  That's not how GMO works. It's not a graft, all cells in the plant carry the modified DNA.

It's mostly irrelevant in the fruit/seed of course as it's not causing any change there, nor has any effect on consumption because that DNA is disassembled anyway to be digested.

Comment

While I didn't follow that case, GMOs are usually significantly cheaper than normal crops at both the "buy seed" stage and growing stage.

There MIGHT have been other actors at play too.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Monsanto is still evil though, even if "anti-GMO" movements are basically antivax bullshit.
                      Explain?

Comment

Working...
                      X