Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRUB 2.04 Bootloader Released With RISC-V Support, Native UEFI Secure Boot, Btrfs RAID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    It's "broken" now, since legacy and UEFI systems get by using FreeBSD's own bootloader and TrueOS moved over to using rEFInd.
    Nitpick: UEFI systems drop their kernel in the FAT32 EFI partition and their bootloader only needs to load it from there (also true for rEFInd, which can load EFI drivers but the only ZFS EFI driver available was extracted from GRUB's code.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

GRUB is under the GPL v3, so the usual ZFS uncertainties apply. Until Oracle say something... which they continue not to.
    This is bs, sure you can't just drag and drop ZoL code over, but GRUB isn't Linux anyway so the driver has to be different. Nothing stops anyone from writing a new ZFS driver, especially if it is a cut-down and read-only version like most GRUB drivers.

It's not a derivative.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 July 2019, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    GRUB is under the GPL v3, so the usual ZFS uncertainties apply. Until Oracle say something... which they continue not to.
    GRUB had functional ZFS boot support in iXSystem's PC-BSD. How come license did not stop it?

GNU GRUB is a multiboot boot loader. It was derived from GRUB, the GRand Unified Bootloader, which was originally designed and implemented by Erich Stefan Boleyn. This port does not install GRUB on the master boot record of your hard drive. To do this you will need to read the info page that is installed by the port. This port includes additional patches and fixes making it work properly with ZFS boot-environments.

It's "broken" now, since legacy and UEFI systems get by using FreeBSD's own bootloader and TrueOS moved over to using rEFInd.
    Last edited by aht0; 07 July 2019, 06:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Nice, but I'm not sure if GRUB developers are still stubborn to include framebuffer deffering console take over support (to keep fb for kernel), or did they finally accepted it? It works out of the box with systemd-boot, and it have easy selection shortcuts for multi-boot, either via order numbers, and even included 'w' for Windows and so on, not sure if GRUB have those things as well?
    Last edited by leipero; 06 July 2019, 07:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIcodeX View Post
    skeevy420

You're not the only one, brother. I was excited when I read this headline only to find out that the ZoL support doesn't even seem to be on the radar.

I read some stuff about systemd-boot supporting it with an option but I'm not sure about encrypted datasets. What might you know on that? Know any reading material for installing, say Arch to native ZFS encrypted root?
    Very bottom of the page, but basically do everything like a normal Arch ZFS install only encrypt it with a passphrase and it'll prompt you on boot or when you mount it if it isn't root. Also works with GRUB as long as you keep /boot on its own partition. My system is one generation too old for UEFI so I've really never look to deeply into systemd-boot.

There's also a method to use a keyfile, like on a USB drive or /boot if using GRUB on a separate partition, and have it automatically unlock on boot with that, but I've only done it once for on non-root volume when testing and it's been awhile so I've forgotten the exact steps. Should be easy enough to find on Google if that's something you're interested in doing; though the keyfile is only worth doing if you're going to unlock something else encrypted first (like /boot) or if you're going to save your boot stick in a safe.

The keyfile is the method I plan on doing so I only get nagged once every boot...but that's only due to system limitations. I'll have /boot on an internal USB drive using a passphrased LUKS with ZFS on top of that with the restricted GRUB settings and keyfile on /boot to unlock root and lock up /boot unless necessary.

Leave a comment:

• OneTimeShot
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIcodeX View Post
    skeevy420
    You're not the only one, brother. I was excited when I read this headline only to find out that the ZoL support doesn't even seem to be on the radar.

Leave a comment:

• UNIcodeX
    replied
    skeevy420

I read some stuff about systemd-boot supporting it with an option but I'm not sure about encrypted datasets. What might you know on that? Know any reading material for installing, say Arch to native ZFS encrypted root?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, it's time for me to flash coreboot onto my laptop again, and convert all file systems on it to f2fs.

Leave a comment:

• 9Strike
    replied
    Nice to finally see the release. I hope the Debian guys add support for F2FS boot installations in Sid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X