X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I agree, but I never said I will use an up-to-date Windows 7.
    I know what Microsoft is pushing down the pipe these days for Windows 7 too.
    I still don't understand on what could Windows 10 be better than Windows 7 these days?
    I have look at performance benchmarks on Youtube between the two operating systems and I have seen no difference.
    I really don't see anything better on Windows 10 but I see many things worse.
    I'm sorry I don't have the time to be Microsoft's puppet with theirs OS.
    If you play games, DirectX 12. For me and my very limited Windows usage, that is literally it. Windows is the "oh, I have to reboot to play that game" OS in my life. Manjaro handles everything else I need to do just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

ROFL. An up-to-date Windows 7 has the same spyware and telemetry stuff that 10 has. It's been that way for a little over two years now. Windows 7 requires the same crap to be disabled and tweaked that Windows 10 does. The only differences are you might add a Start menu replacement with 10 and might need a few custom tools to fully tweak the UI of 10. 10 LTSB, even though you'll likely have to pirate it, is the best version of Windows to run these days.
    I agree, but I never said I will use an up-to-date Windows 7.
    I know what Microsoft is pushing down the pipe these days for Windows 7 too.
    I still don't understand on what could Windows 10 be better than Windows 7 these days?
    I have look at performance benchmarks on Youtube between the two operating systems and I have seen no difference.
    I really don't see anything better on Windows 10 but I see many things worse.
    I'm sorry I don't have the time to be Microsoft's puppet with theirs OS.

Leave a comment:

• andy22
    replied
    Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    But it's a massive intractable problem for many people, and hopefully one day the Samba team will be able to sort it all out and make Samba usable again. As it used to be.
    The main confusion is often being able to browse your network shares via explorer/filemanager and actually being able to mount a share via ip/name. The browsing part is what's a mess atm, since samba does not support WSD only avahi/netbios for windows clients atm and Windows does not support mdns from a avahi service.

The samba team has working WSD support on there wishlist since 2016, so yeah "soon". Windows 10 also has mdns support on there wishlists. So we can only wait and see who gets something useable ready first.

In general mounting manually via windows/shell or via linux cifs client should usually work via ip address and sharename.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Originally posted by modpunk View Post

As it works for me without any issue, you're either doing something wrong or try to achieve something different. I suggest to consult the Samba mailinglist. But you can also describe your problem here.
    No, my goals never changed. But Samba sure did. All I ever wanted was to connect two or three computers running various flavors of Windows with two or three computers running various flavors of Linux.

And like I said up until about 3 years ago it was a fairly easy task. But then all hell broke loose, until about 8 months ago I just gave up because it was no longer worth the effort. I just bought a 2TB SSD with a USB3 adapter and transfer files that way.

Look, obviously Samba is discombobulated or so many people wouldn't be having so many problems with it. And all the simplistic answers like changing minimum/maximum Samba versions, etc. just don't work anymore. If it were just me having problems I could simply be written off as inept and incompetent. But it's a massive intractable problem for many people, and hopefully one day the Samba team will be able to sort it all out and make Samba usable again. As it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• modpunk
    replied
    Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Ha!

Okay.

All the confusion is for naught then. We just need to reread the Samba Wiki again for the umpteenth time
    As it works for me without any issue, you're either doing something wrong or try to achieve something different. I suggest to consult the Samba mailinglist. But you can also describe your problem here.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Originally posted by modpunk View Post

It is pretty straight forward and well documented in the Samba Wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Set...ndalone_Server
    Ha!

Okay.

All the confusion is for naught then. We just need to reread the Samba Wiki again for the umpteenth time

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post
    I did, my immediate reaction was "DON'T USE SMB1" - and I am not wrong
    I know you're not wrong, I never said you were. But being right is not the same thing as being justified.
    Not sure what part of the world you live in, but here down under we have labour laws that prevent outright firing of people unless it is super bad and/or illegal
    Seeing as you have to go out of your way to make modern software (like samba) insecure, I would say willingly putting a company or its clients at risk is super bad, and probably illegal in most cases.
    Let's assume that unknown unknowns exist for minute. a contrived example might be that people do not know that the dark room they are stumbling into is full of knives. In my contrived little scenario here - you have answered the persons quesion of "how do I find the exit" with "find the exit by following the walls" and I have yelled out "the walls are made of sharp pointy glass".

if the person is indeed smart, then they might figure to avoid the sharp hurty bits.
    I would say a more suitable analogy would be this:
    There's a dark room full of knives where the door is locked for the sake of public safety. Then someone asks how to unlock the door so they can get in. Even if they don't know the specific hazard, they probably already know they shouldn't go in there or else they wouldn't have to ask for the key. Since ideally, nobody would be dumb enough to willingly walk in that room without knowing what they're doing, you can assume that they'll be fine knowing how to unlock the door. So, I show them the key.

Then you come along and say "nobody should ever walk in that room". You don't ask why the person wants to walk in there and you don't say why they shouldn't walk in there (if you're so sure they're not aware of the dangers then you should explain it to them). When asked the alternative, you say "enter this unlocked room full of stuffed animals" as though that's what the person was looking for. Doesn't matter if it's safer and easier, that's not why they came.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 July 2019, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Again, maybe if you spent more time thinking about your response, we wouldn't be here right now. I don't take the aggressive side until someone's behavior is unjustified. And for the record, there is not a direct correlation between correctness and justification.
    I did, my immediate reaction was "DON'T USE SMB1" - and I am not wrong

I would argue getting fired is warranted, but to each their own.
    Not sure what part of the world you live in, but here down under we have labour laws that prevent outright firing of people unless it is super bad and/or illegal

I didn't say it wasn't bad. I know it's bad. If people insist on using it, they either know what they're doing or must suffer the consequences of not choosing a more ideal solution (such as a different OS or FTP). But again, that's obvious. If someone asks a question, I plan to answer it as-is. If I sense they're about to do something really irresponsible, I'll also tell them to reconsider their actions, but most people on Phoronix aren't dumb enough to use SMB1 on something important.
    Let's assume that unknown unknowns exist for minute. a contrived example might be that people do not know that the dark room they are stumbling into is full of knives. In my contrived little scenario here - you have answered the persons quesion of "how do I find the exit" with "find the exit by following the walls" and I have yelled out "the walls are made of sharp pointy glass".

if the person is indeed smart, then they might figure to avoid the sharp hurty bits.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Ok, enough with the attacks, they are not civil - you might be frustrated, but trying to insult people does not win you an argument - even on the Internet - you are being an ass.
    Again, maybe if you spent more time thinking about your response, we wouldn't be here right now. I don't take the aggressive side until someone's behavior is unjustified. And for the record, there is not a direct correlation between correctness and justification.
    Doing something that silly on a prod network should get you a written warning.
    I would argue getting fired is warranted, but to each their own.
    SMB1 is RCE (remote code exec) on windows all by itself.

That is why it is bad.

And the reason why it is still active is that people still insist on using it.
    I didn't say it wasn't bad. I know it's bad. If people insist on using it, they either know what they're doing or must suffer the consequences of not choosing a more ideal solution (such as a different OS or FTP). But again, that's obvious. If someone asks a question, I plan to answer it as-is. If I sense they're about to do something really irresponsible, I'll also tell them to reconsider their actions, but most people on Phoronix aren't dumb enough to use SMB1 on something important.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 July 2019, 08:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    SMB1 is far from something that is not looked for you may wanna check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EternalBlue
    It's required by many embedded NAS boxes that will not really be replaced any time soon (because they ship some ancient Samba + ancient Linux firmware) in small businness environments.

I've enabled FTP on sooo many of these devices to fix the "issues" people were having in connecting to it from Windows 10 and newer workstations where it seems SMB1 was disabled by default.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X