Samba 4.11 Aims To Be Scalable To 100,000+ Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I just wish that I could just browse my passwordless shares from my Windows 7 computers in my local network.
    I think I saw only once some Linux distribution that can do that and I forgot which one.
    Thats because of Netbios problems or not running correctly, you can try running a WSD service on the samba device, which replaces Netbios for windows 10, but Win7 should also have WSD support.

Comment

Originally posted by hackthis View Post
      Not that I want to be a kill joy as the new guy...but just some observations:

1) Great 100,00 users. Who here would risk their jobs putting 100,00 users on SAMBA? That is just nonsense.
      If the developers of Samba implement support to run with more than 100.000 users, then there are probably companies or governments starting to hit the limits.

2) The only people I know of using SAMBA is for very non mission critical applications, where if the thing went tits up tomorrow no biggee. Anyone here actually using it in production with SLA's that are critical? I am sure some people are inbetween SLA and non critical too. Just curious.
      I know several big enrollments.

3) I do have a SAMBA 4.10 server with the LDAP/KERBEROS bells and whistles joined to a AD server...in a E1 environment. It has 10 people using it.

Uptime on the thing though is poor. Lots of issues. We are a NIST compliant organization so I do lots of patching and it always breaks it. So it isn't abnormal to see the thing not working for weeks at a time sometimes as I try and fix it, or worse back out of the patches then turn it off as my boss complains it isn't NIST compliant and it impacts his BONUS. His BONUS is based on incident counts of non patches systems from Redhats CVE list.
      And what are those issues? Samba works like a charm as a domain member if it is configured probably. However there are many broken configurations out there and if problms arise it is mostly a configuration issue.

But, 100,00 users? I won't even take that seriously.
      It looks like the Samba team does, because there is demand for that.

Comment

2) The only people I know of using SAMBA is for very non mission critical applications, where if the thing went tits up tomorrow no biggee. Anyone here actually using it in production with SLA's that are critical? I am sure some people are inbetween SLA and non critical too. Just curious.
        I once migrated a Windows AD DC to a samba based one. There are about 30 Users and the AD DC is also file server due to the lack of hardware. Since even the home folders were redirected, the server had to be stable. The samba domain survived Debian upgrades and was rock stable - no outage except for a dead CPU. The Windows AD DC was not even close to delivering that uptime and performance.

Yes, it's only a small setup. I no longer work there, but Samba still running nicely.

Comment

In this talk, we want to tell you about the tools and methods that Tranquil IT used to merge 170 Samba3-NT4 domains into 1 Samba-AD domain for 8000 users quickly and with very little manpower. Beside the most practical tool in IT which is loving your users, we'll show you how python scripts, Ansible, our tool WAPT, and Samba's legendary flexibility helped achieve that.
          This is about the Ministry of Culture in France ...

Following is the Ministry of Finance in France with 1 domain and 150k desktops (35k desktops already migrated). That probably where the requirement is coming from ...
          Ministry of Environment (46 domains, 25k desktops)
          Ministry of Agriculture central administration (1 domain, 2k desktops)

I guess you can call this critical infrastructure

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've already spent at least six hours trying to solve this issue, read everything available on the net, read the manual twice, perused Samba mailing list and then when I exhausted my options I decided to try my luck here however instead of help I received some generic and completely useless advice. Think of my response anything you want. It wasn't an idle stupid question which could be easily solved. It's a problem for which even Samba developers don't offer a solution. Maybe Phoronix forums weren't the right place to ask this question in the first place.

I guess I have to apologize for asking. My apologies.
            Sounds like your self-support model is not working out for this particular software. It also sounds like a business use case, not a personal home use. There are vendors out there who offer commercial SAMBA support.... This is precisely why businesses pay for RHEL and SLES instead of using free community distros.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 July 2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation ->"Enable insecure guest logons"
              Off-topic I know but this Windows-only backslash is so annoying.

Comment

100,00 users. 100,00 users
                100,00 users?
                Minor gripe: It's not a hundred and zero cent users... it's a hundred thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Minor gripe: It's not a hundred and zero cent users... it's a hundred thousand.
                  It's 1e. Sexagesimal 100 in base 10 notation.

Comment

I feel Sexagesimal.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

I said minimum protocol.
                      that's the problem.

Allowing SMB1 is a bad horrible thing to do. pls2be not kthxbai.

Comment

Working...
                      X