Samba 4.11 Aims To Be Scalable To 100,000+ Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Odd response to people attempting to respond to your request for help.

I've already spent at least six hours trying to solve this issue, read everything available on the net, read the manual twice, perused Samba mailing list and then when I exhausted my options I decided to try my luck here however instead of help I received some generic and completely useless advice. Think of my response anything you want. It wasn't an idle stupid question which could be easily solved. It's a problem for which even Samba developers don't offer a solution. Maybe Phoronix forums weren't the right place to ask this question in the first place.

I guess I have to apologize for asking. My apologies.

Comment

And submit documentation patches if you find anything lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Don't assume you're f*cking smart and I'm stupid just because you can
        Code:
        man smb.conf
        You can download Windows 10 LTSC in less than an hour and offer your insight.
        You know, you really are a condescending prick.

And a passive-aggressive one too. With an attitude like that, why don't you kindly f*ck off and figure it out yourself.

Comment

I've already spent at least six hours trying to solve this issue, read everything available on the net, read the manual twice, perused Samba mailing list and then when I exhausted my options I decided to try my luck here however instead of help I received some generic and completely useless advice. Think of my response anything you want. It wasn't an idle stupid question which could be easily solved. It's a problem for which even Samba developers don't offer a solution. Maybe Phoronix forums weren't the right place to ask this question in the first place.

This is not meant to be a cruel retort, but some times advanced answers for open source products arent free.

And hard won expertise gained in the field is not always freely given away.

In short, the answer to your question probably exists, but may require some expense on your part especially if you are using Samba in a commercial setting.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Comment

Well, that escalated quickly. Check, please!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

I said minimum protocol. You can set the maximum protocol to SMB3 or whatever too. If you want XP support, you need to degrade the protocol. But, since you said you don't need XP support, you can use something higher.

You people need to learn how to read.

Comment

Currently for all Windows 10 clients I have to enable Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation ->"Enable insecure guest logons" in GPO but I don't like it.
                Well don't use guest accounts or don't use Windows 10 LTSC or learn to like the GPO option. This is clearly a not an issue on the Linux/Samba side.

Comment

Not that I want to be a kill joy as the new guy...but just some observations:

1) Great 100,00 users. Who here would risk their jobs putting 100,00 users on SAMBA? That is just nonsense.

2) The only people I know of using SAMBA is for very non mission critical applications, where if the thing went tits up tomorrow no biggee. Anyone here actually using it in production with SLA's that are critical? I am sure some people are inbetween SLA and non critical too. Just curious.

3) I do have a SAMBA 4.10 server with the LDAP/KERBEROS bells and whistles joined to a AD server...in a E1 environment. It has 10 people using it.

Uptime on the thing though is poor. Lots of issues. We are a NIST compliant organization so I do lots of patching and it always breaks it. So it isn't abnormal to see the thing not working for weeks at a time sometimes as I try and fix it, or worse back out of the patches then turn it off as my boss complains it isn't NIST compliant and it impacts his BONUS. His BONUS is based on incident counts of non patches systems from Redhats CVE list.

Really, I keep it around as I am curious to see how well SAMBA is progressing.

Which unfortunately isn't very well if you have a SLA hanging over your head.

Works good enough for a lab environment though.

But, 100,00 users? I won't even take that seriously.

Comment

I really don't care about all these improvements.
                    I just wish that I could just browse my passwordless shares from my Windows 7 computers in my local network.
                    I think I saw only once some Linux distribution that can do that and I forgot which one.
                    Since then all the other that I tested stopped somewhere after showing something like the workgroup.
                    I haven't knew at that time about any config file and even if there's one, I still don't understand why couldn't it just work by default.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

Well don't use guest accounts or don't use Windows 10 LTSC or learn to like the GPO option. This is clearly a not an issue on the Linux/Samba side.
                      I havent enabled guest (or NETBIOS for that matter) in many years..
                      What's wrong with joining the systems to Active Directory and using GSSAPI for all athentication?
                      Am I missing something here?

Comment

Working...
                      X