GRUB 2 Receives New Font Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by massysett View Post
    If the choice is between this bloated Grub 2 and LILO, I will pick LILO.
    You're lucky LILO even works for you. It relies on the block position of the file to boot, so it has other, nastier failure modes (We've encountered one with one of our probes back three weeks ago at Tektronix (my day job...)- can't go into details, but suffice it to say, LILO's actually WORSE in many regards to GRUB.). There's a reason most of the distros went to it instead of LILO a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      There's been a patch for the bigger inodes for grub1 for a while.
      Yeah, there is "a patch" but since the Grub maintainers are refusing to deal with "Grub Legacy," it is just an unofficial patch floating around. Some distributors use it; I don't know if all do. Meanwhile "Grub Legacy" is spouting off a useless (worse, *deceiving*) error message for this problem.

Meanwhile LILO works fine...

Comment

Originally posted by massysett View Post
        Yeah, there is "a patch" but since the Grub maintainers are refusing to deal with "Grub Legacy," it is just an unofficial patch floating around. Some distributors use it; I don't know if all do. Meanwhile "Grub Legacy" is spouting off a useless (worse, *deceiving*) error message for this problem.

Meanwhile LILO works fine...
        This sounds more like it's begging for a fork of GRUB than anything else- there's solid reasons why LILO is deprecated. I'm not kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          This sounds more like it's begging for a fork of GRUB than anything else- there's solid reasons why LILO is deprecated. I'm not kidding.
          There are also solid reasons why Grub was completely re-written. Ask anyone that has attempted to port Grub Legacy to a new architecture about how lovely the experience is.

Comment

grub2 - typical gnu disease. Take over a usefull project and then fuck it up.
            Grub does not need all that features. It is a freaking bootloader!
            To make its installation suck less and its config easier - now that would be a real improvement. Everything else is just really stupid.

Comment

I think the discussion about GRUP2 is the same as about Compiz and KMS. Anyone who likes eye candy and customization loves them and everyone else sees no use in them

Comment

bah - it may seem a bit pointless now, but it's the only way the basic boot process will progress anywhere so we can ditch all this legacy IBM PC crap. Eye candy's just the freebie that drives development, the way wobbly windows drove compositing window managers.

Comment

which 'crap' is dumped?
                  and please tell - how big may grub2 get with all this superfluos crap?
                  do we need 1gb boot partitions in the future? 512mb ram - just to boot?

Comment

GRUB2 seems to be a good replacement for GRUB1, it can boot from cd now, that's what was missing before. Now I only need somebody who wants to create a nice theme for me

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
                      Grub2 is great, I have been using it since early last year, and had fewer problems than with grub1
                      Good! I am trying to add a new hard drive to my machine, which uses GRUB2. Please, add a link to any description on how to make that work. I am unable to find it anywhere!

Comment

Working...
                      X