Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flatpak 1.4 Released With I/O Improvements, Other Updates For Sandboxed Linux Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatpak 1.4 Released With I/O Improvements, Other Updates For Sandboxed Linux Apps

Phoronix: Flatpak 1.4 Released With I/O Improvements, Other Updates For Sandboxed Linux Apps

Red Hat's Alexander Larsson has just released Flatpak 1.4.0 as the new stable version of this Linux application sandboxing tech formerly known as XDG-App...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Twix formerly known as Raider

Comment

Can someone elaborate what the sandboxed dconf Support actually means? I am unfortunately unable to find useful information about it...

Does this mean applications now have their own, individual copy of their respective dconf database? If so, how would one be supposed to change the settings (I presume gsettings wasn’t designed for this?)?

Comment

Every flat pack I’ve ever installed has been broken in some way or another. I’m starting to think there’s just something wrong with the design of it at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Every flat pack I’ve ever installed has been broken in some way or another. I’m starting to think there’s just something wrong with the design of it at this point.
          Sounds like you have not installed many and were unlucky. The majority of the flatpaks I have installed have worked perfectly.\

If it not that it could be a theme issue.
          An open letter from independent app developers to the wider GNOME community

Please note if it a theme issue is not a flatpak only bug.

Comment

A huge number of the apps in the Deepin distro are bundles as flatpak apps. I've tried lots of them. Didn't see any issues. I'm running Slack and Skype under flatpak now. No issues. Got some examples?

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
              Can someone elaborate what the sandboxed dconf Support actually means? I am unfortunately unable to find useful information about it...

Does this mean applications now have their own, individual copy of their respective dconf database? If so, how would one be supposed to change the settings (I presume gsettings wasn’t designed for this?)?
              I believe now they simply migrate from dconf to ini files, simply because the majority of apps using GSettings don't need the extra performance that dconf provides, and apparently there's no active dconf maintainer to work on an actual config portal of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by re:fi.64 View Post

I believe now they simply migrate from dconf to ini files.
                Exactly, this seems to be the corresponding MR:

We do a one-time conversion of existing dconf user settings into a keyfile in the apps XDG_CONFIG_DIR, where the glib keyfile settingsbackend will look for it. Still to do: Only do this conversion ...

The purpose seems to be to "initialize" a new database in the sandbox with already existing settings.

Comment

I’m starting to think there’s just something wrong with the design of it at this point.
                  Care to elaborate? Sure, it's not perfect (well, what's perfect anyway?), but I had the impression it works quite well. We even started to use it at work to manage internal proprietary software -- to move away from Ubuntu1404, now that the support ran out.

Comment

Using some Flatpaks here too, no issues at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X