Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.1 Hit By A Data Loss Bug Due To Overly Aggressive FSTRIM

Phoronix: Linux 5.1 Hit By A Data Loss Bug Due To Overly Aggressive FSTRIM

As a forewarning to those using LVM, dm-crypt, and Samsung solid-state drives, this combination in some manner(s) may lead to data corruption if using the Linux 5.1 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could this also effect veracrypt as it uses dm-crypt? , i've had 3 desktop (can still ssh with no errors seen) lockups during high disk IO since 5.1, been fine back on 5.0.

Comment

Big thanks for this warning.. I was just considering upgrading to 5.1...

Comment

Maybe this is what I have been seeing under VirtualBox since just recently? Are Windows FSTRIM's passed on to the underlying device in VirtualBox?

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
          Big thanks for this warning.. I was just considering upgrading to 5.1...
          Yes, big thanks. My main system fulfills all of those conditions and I've been running Linux 5.1.3 for a few days. Immediately reverted to 4.19 when I saw the warning.

Comment

Oh, crap, this is exactly me. Fedora 29 with a Samsung SSD and an excrypted drive. I manually turned on the 'pass discards' setting in the LVM config.

Hope Fedora doesn't ship 5.1 before this gets fixed!

Comment

Fedora has already posted a fix: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/...uildID=1270326

Comment

Pretty sure my work laptop hits all of these criteria, except for maybe the Samsung SSD bit. It's a dm-crypt encrypted partition with discards passed through and is running 5.1.3, just not sure about the SSD manufacturer.

Definitely going to check on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                  Oh, crap, this is exactly me. Fedora 29 with a Samsung SSD and an excrypted drive. I manually turned on the 'pass discards' setting in the LVM config.

Hope Fedora doesn't ship 5.1 before this gets fixed!
                  Fedora had 5.1 in testing, so as long as you never had the testing repo enabled you should be good.

Comment

So just using Samsung SSDs is not enough to get this problem? Using 5.1.4 right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X