No announcement yet.

systemd Clocks In At More Than 1.2 Million Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only solution I see with systemd is rewriting it completely in Rust...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
      SystemD is not perfect.
      But it works surpringly well, for the huge behemoth it is...
      Usually i find that running it is way better than the alternative. Because there's no real alternative to it.
      Duh, really? Fact you did not know something does not render alternatives void.
      Init systems, alternative:OpenRC, runit, upstart
      Service managers: daemontools, runit has (compatible with daemontools btw) service supervision tools, freedt.
      There are some language extensions, which can do service monitoring/managing (Perl's Ubic or Python's Circus for example). Some Linux distro even ran Python executable instead of SysV init executable and all it's services were managed by Python scripts.

It's very funny how it's 'easier' to re-invent huge behemoth of a wheel..

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So the kernel is only 1.2 lines? That's very fucking impressive.
        Which begs the question:

At which character column does said line wrap?

Comment

Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
          Looks like that Devuan is the only sane Linux distro out there these days!
          What about Void?

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
            Making GTK in C was a mistake.
            This does not make much sense. GTK+ was released in 1998 - the year of the very first C++ standard. Before that time, no C++ compiler was remotely sane, so building an entire project (GTK+ + the Gimp) on that premise would have been a dangerous endeavor. Not to mention that some critical language bits were missing (that's why you got the moc compiler in Qt). And, of course, C is one of the only language that supports bindings (because of its rather simple linking model).

I agree that the current Glib and GTK interfaces are complex but having the whole stuff in C is not as bad as you say. It's a very valid technical choice.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              This monster. will implode some day..
              Seems that the Linux Community lost focus, KISS, objectivity.

In a pair of years...unfortunately, we will have to create a real init system... to correct the mistakes of almost a decade of craziest things that have been allowed..
              Sorry almost 2 decades of craziest things have been allowed. Remember PIDfile requirements to function correctly are only coming in the 5.1/5.2 Linux kernel so this year. So sysvinit was never the correct fit for Linux for the Linux kernel. Yes all the other alternatives to sysvinit were not a correct fit either.

Linux choice of init has always been choice of what broken I wish to have today. Maybe by 5.2 kernel we will have chance at long last of a init system that functions correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                This monster. will implode some day..
                Just to clarify, are you talking about systemd, or the Linux Kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What about Void?
                  Never heard of it...

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

So basically, you used Linux for 23 years and you're still a complete noob? In any case, I fully support your move to Devuan. It's absolutely the best place for you and like minded people.
                    Why are you so aggressive? Chill...

Noob is this systemd shit. And I thrive on change. When the change is for the better, which isn't the case with systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
                      Noob is this systemd shit. And I thrive on change. When the change is for the better, which isn't the case with systemd.
                      x2, systemd change feels a lot like "hope-n-change" propaganda.

Comment

Working...
                      X