systemd Clocks In At More Than 1.2 Million Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
    Horses for courses. I don't have a problem with the way gObject is implemented. I guess it comes down to it started out in C (probably because that's what the developers knew) and perhaps outgrew itself.
    I'm sure you can fork it off and start a c++ port...
    Fork to C++ hmm someone is kind of missing a major problem.

Most people miss due to being a C based GUI define GTK has more language bindings.

C++ is not really suitable if you are wanting lots programming language binding. Yes mesa with opengl might using C++ inside but the opengl bindings are in fact C.

C as a language has a stable ABI in built binaries. C++ standard does not define a ABI for classes and the like instead leaves it to every single compiler todo what they see fit.

Horrible reality you want C++ version of gtk with the means to provide same level of language bindings as GTK does now you will end up still using gObject basically exactly how it is now.

Maybe port gtk core code to Vala.

Comment

Nice.

I just started playing around with systemd-nspawn and it's pretty amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Fork to C++ hmm someone is kind of missing a major problem.

Most people miss due to being a C based GUI define GTK has more language bindings.

C++ is not really suitable if you are wanting lots programming language binding. Yes mesa with opengl might using C++ inside but the opengl bindings are in fact C.

C as a language has a stable ABI in built binaries. C++ standard does not define a ABI for classes and the like instead leaves it to every single compiler todo what they see fit.

Horrible reality you want C++ version of gtk with the means to provide same level of language bindings as GTK does now you will end up still using gObject basically exactly how it is now.

Maybe port gtk core code to Vala.
        Thankfully LLVM and GCC seem to be doing better at this... and LLVM can even pretend to be MSVC++

Comment

1.2Mloc?
          that's bigger than the huge kdelibs library

Comment

Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
            I'm serious, really, systemd sucks. It's not even close to being a production ready piece of software.

I used (Slackware 96) Debian from ~1998 to ~2006 and Ubuntu from ~2006 to this day (2019).

Some other day a few weeks ago, for the first time in ~20 years, I had to reinstall Ubuntu (a Linux distro) because I could not `ping google.com` and I didn't know what to do to fix it!!! :-O

I disabled systemd-resolved and added my own `nameserver 8.8.8.8` line within my new /etc/resolv.conf empty file, and it still didn't work!

Of course, `ping 8.8.8.8` was fine. But `ping google.com` wasn't.

Solution?
            If you tried to troubleshoot a bit you had find that you request was locked in multicast dns and not even reaching your dns solver.

This is an integration issue:
            Binary package hint: avahi-daemon I encountered this problem on a machine that is integrated into our work network. I performed a dist-upgrade to Feisty on my desktop and all went well. I've noticed recently that any dns based work seemed to take a significantly longer time then normal. My system is getting dns information on our company internal systems from two dns servers. Previously, if I tried to establish an ssh connection with another system I could generally expect the connection i...

Comment

Thanks God systemD exists. SysV init was utter crap.

Comment

Great..
                I really like systemd. Works great in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  Thankfully LLVM and GCC seem to be doing better at this... and LLVM can even pretend to be MSVC++
                  In the last 20 years g++ has broken its C++ ABI 3 times on built binaries and LLVM in the last 10 years has broken it C++ ABI once on built binaries. Mostly because they can since its not part of the standard. I will give you that g++ and LLVM C++ are break the ABI at a slower rate than Microsoft MSVC is doing it. Don't pretend for 1 min they are not breaking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                    Making GTK in C was a mistake. You need more tools to manage memory when you bring in advanced GUIs and especially when you need to pass around weird big data structures.
                    So what's the alternative? It certainly wasn't C++ at the time... I did a lot of work with both Qt and Gtkmm back in the day, and both of them spent quite a lot of effort in working around the deficiencies of the language itself and of the C++ compilers and runtimes... pre-processors like MOC and libraries like libsigc++ to make the platform more usable.

Modern C++ addresses a lot of the old problems, sure, but it does so a bit late...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      IBM should integrate everything in to the systemd, it is a waste of space and resources to have separate gnome3, pulseaudio, polkit and networkmanager. IBM, KISS and make the systemd OS. IBM would have many times more code lines in the systemd then.
                      ;-)
                      I can actually live with systemd (Linux init systems have always been a bit shite compared to other *nix after all) but please keep the embarrassment that is Gnome 3 out of it; otherwise when it is dumped and Gnome 2 re-takes its place (possibly called Gnome 4), it will be a massive re-factor to remove XD

Comment

Working...
                      X