No announcement yet.

systemd Clocks In At More Than 1.2 Million Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure Michael just creates this topic to get the trolls on both sides out so he can have a good old chuckle.
    Every 1000 lines added (daily?) should trigger a new 'systemd reaches nnnn amount of lines' topic, then sit back and watch the show.

Comment

Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
      Solution?
      Have you tried this?
      systemctl networking restart
      systemctl NetworkManager restart

Comment

If we're going to throw everything into SystemD, can't we at least write it in a typesafe language? Like wtf guys? Security much?

Comment

C is typesafe. Well, mostly. Memory safe is probably the word you're looking for.

Comment

I won't be impressed until it's up over 100 million lines of code. Clearly, systemd needs to absorb the kernel as a subproject if it's ever going to be taken seriously, along with the entirety of the Gnome and KDE projects.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Better life with:
              sudo apt install wicd
              sudo apt remove networkmanager
              Even better:
              FreeBSD is an operating system used to power modern servers, desktops, and embedded platforms.

or for those who can't stand a command line (softies!):

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                C is typesafe. Well, mostly. Memory safe is probably the word you're looking for.
                Except a massive amount of C code on Linux throws the type system out the window.. void and casts *everywhere* https://developer.gnome.org/gobject/...ject-Type.html

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Except a massive amount of C code on Linux throws the type system out the window.. void and casts *everywhere* https://developer.gnome.org/gobject/...ject-Type.html
                  Yeah Gnome and stuff like GObject are like someone really wanting to be C++ and trying *so hard* but failing in hilarious ways.

I'm still sore about a RSS reader app I liked in 2005 or so which switched from custom data structures to GObject / GLib and its memory use exploded from 10 MB to 150 MB, just because GLib's g_tree uses something like five pointers per object. It's ridiculous. It's not even like the program needed a fancy data structure because even at 800 MHz reading every byte of a 10 MB array is trivial.

Comment

> 1.2 millions LOC
                    > THIS KILLS MODULARITY! REEEEE

Love it 👍
                    ​​​​​​I will donate to systemd this year, just for the banter

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Yeah Gnome and stuff like GObject are like someone really wanting to be C++ and trying *so hard* but failing in hilarious ways.

I'm still sore about a RSS reader app I liked in 2005 or so which switched from custom data structures to GObject / GLib and its memory use exploded from 10 MB to 150 MB, just because GLib's g_tree uses something like five pointers per object. It's ridiculous. It's not even like the program needed a fancy data structure because even at 800 MHz reading every byte of a 10 MB array is trivial.
                      SO MUCH THIS!
                      Making GTK in C was a mistake. You need more tools to manage memory when you bring in advanced GUIs and especially when you need to pass around weird big data structures.

Comment

Working...
                      X