Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

systemd Clocks In At More Than 1.2 Million Lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • systemd Clocks In At More Than 1.2 Million Lines

    Phoronix: systemd Clocks In At More Than 1.2 Million Lines

    Five years ago today was the story on Phoronix how the systemd source tree was approaching 550k lines so curiosity got the best of me to see how large is the systemd Git repository today. Well, now it's over 1.2 million lines...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...md-1.2-Million

  • #2
    This threaD clocks in at more than 1.2 hundred assholes.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm serious, really, systemd sucks. It's not even close to being a production ready piece of software.

      I used (Slackware 96) Debian from ~1998 to ~2006 and Ubuntu from ~2006 to this day (2019).

      Some other day a few weeks ago, for the first time in ~20 years, I had to reinstall Ubuntu (a Linux distro) because I could not `ping google.com` and I didn't know what to do to fix it!!! :-O

      I disabled systemd-resolved and added my own `nameserver 8.8.8.8` line within my new /etc/resolv.conf empty file, and it still didn't work!

      Of course, `ping 8.8.8.8` was fine. But `ping google.com` wasn't.

      Solution?

      A.: "format c:"

      Another problem:

      Recently, I was trying to figure out why, from time to time, ALL my VMs on KVM were "suddenly" losing connectivity! GUESS WHAT?!

      At the host, when you run `apt full-upgrade` and `systemd` is in the mix, it will DROP ALL CONNECTIONS!!! Your VMs will be unreachable!!! Then, it will go back after a few seconds...

      Like, WHAT A F*** IS GOING ON?!?! How this garbage is in a "stable" Debian release?!?!?!

      I'm already planning to move to Devuan.

      I really tried to use systemd, for the last ~3 years but, seriously, I tried, it's utter crap.

      I'm tired of it and pissed that I can not trust Debian anymore. Before, I could rely on it, not anymore. Now, they throwing random garbage into stable releases, very sad.

      Looks like that Devuan is the only sane Linux distro out there these days!
      Last edited by ThiagoCMC; 05-21-2019, 08:32 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
        I'm serious, really, systemd sucks. It's not even close to being a production ready piece of software.

        I used (Slackware 96) Debian from ~1998 to ~2006 and Ubuntu from ~2006 to this day (2019).

        Some other day a few weeks ago, for the first time in ~20 years, I had to reinstall Ubuntu (a Linux distro) because I could not `ping google.com` and I didn't know what to do to fix it!!! :-O

        I disabled systemd-resolved and added my own `nameserver 8.8.8.8` line within my new /etc/resolv.conf empty file, and it still didn't work!

        Of course, `ping 8.8.8.8` was fine. But `ping google.com` wasn't.

        Solution?

        A.: "format c:"

        Another problem:

        Recently, I was trying to figure out why, from time to time, ALL my VMs on KVM were "suddenly" losing connectivity! GUESS WHAT?!

        At the host, when you run `apt full-upgrade` and `systemd` is in the mix, it will DROP ALL CONNECTIONS!!! Your VMs will be unreachable!!! Then, it will go back after a few seconds...

        Like, WHAT A F*** IS GOING ON?!?! How this garbage is in a "stable" Debian release?!?!?!

        I'm already planning to move to Devuan.

        I really tried to use systemd, for the last ~3 years but, seriously, I tried, it's utter crap.

        I'm tired of it and pissed that I can not trust Debian anymore. Before, I could rely on it, not anymore. Now, they throwing random garbage into stable releases, very sad.

        Looks like that Devuan is the only sane Linux distro out there these days!
        I believe the term you're looking for is non-sequitor

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ThiagoCMC
          Solution?

          A.: "format c:"
          If this is your solution... you may be running windows... which would definitely have problems with systemd

          That being said... windows has not changed is network config system (dialogs, commands, etc.) since what, windows 2000?? The big Linux distros (ex. Ubuntu) have probably completely changed and re-written their network config systems like 5 or 6 times in that same period... and its a royal pain to re-learn each one. Its a common problem in the Linux eco system.

          And every Linux die-hard will point out... you can always role your own distro But truly you cant with a full time job, family and a life...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
            I'm serious, really, systemd sucks. It's not even close to being a production ready piece of software.

            I used (Slackware 96) Debian from ~1998 to ~2006 and Ubuntu from ~2006 to this day (2019).

            Some other day a few weeks ago, for the first time in ~20 years, I had to reinstall Ubuntu (a Linux distro) because I could not `ping google.com` and I didn't know what to do to fix it!!! :-O

            I disabled systemd-resolved and added my own `nameserver 8.8.8.8` line within my new /etc/resolv.conf empty file, and it still didn't work!

            Of course, `ping 8.8.8.8` was fine. But `ping google.com` wasn't.

            Solution?

            A.: "format c:"

            Another problem:

            Recently, I was trying to figure out why, from time to time, ALL my VMs on KVM were "suddenly" losing connectivity! GUESS WHAT?!

            At the host, when you run `apt full-upgrade` and `systemd` is in the mix, it will DROP ALL CONNECTIONS!!! Your VMs will be unreachable!!! Then, it will go back after a few seconds...

            Like, WHAT A F*** IS GOING ON?!?! How this garbage is in a "stable" Debian release?!?!?!

            I'm already planning to move to Devuan.

            I really tried to use systemd, for the last ~3 years but, seriously, I tried, it's utter crap.

            I'm tired of it and pissed that I can not trust Debian anymore. Before, I could rely on it, not anymore. Now, they throwing random garbage into stable releases, very sad.

            Looks like that Devuan is the only sane Linux distro out there these days!
            I know right?
            The other day, my dog came in and pissed on my power supply. It caused my computer with Arch Linux and systemd to short circuit. Solution? Get rid of systemd. How is this unstable garbage even popular?

            Instead, I'm going to move to a poorly supported distro that uses out dated bash scripts that are specific to Debian, can't be reasonably supported by the daemon developer themselves, and that everyone hates working with. That way, I can have some sense of stability.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by zexelon View Post

              If this is your solution... you may be running windows... which would definitely have problems with systemd
              this!
              Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              That being said... windows has not changed is network config system (dialogs, commands, etc.) since what, windows 2000?? The big Linux distros (ex. Ubuntu) have probably completely changed and re-written their network config systems like 5 or 6 times in that same period... and its a royal pain to re-learn each one. Its a common problem in the Linux eco system.
              Oh sweet summer child, the bane of windows has been the ever changing way to configure a network. every release they have made finding the actual dialog you need harder and harder!

              Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              And every Linux die-hard will point out... you can always role your own distro But truly you cant with a full time job, family and a life...
              Sure, or - you can learn2google and solve the problem. sure, the way you solve it is different now - you have to learn new tricks. the ol' ifup && ifdown trick don't work no more.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
                Like, WHAT A F*** IS GOING ON?!?! How this garbage is in a "stable" Debian release?!?!?!
                Let me fix this for you...

                Originally posted by ThiagoCMC View Post
                Like, WHAT A F*** IS GOING ON?!?! *google* oh, that's what I was doing wrong, let's go with that and not post rants about my inability to solve problems on this Internet for fake internet points
                there we go!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sure... Or am I getting old (and crazy), or systemd indeed sucks a lot.

                  I don't prefer init scripts, I would prefer something like systemd but, not this crap that it's today. Maybe S6 Init? I'll give it a try.

                  Only if it was just an "init replacement" and nothing more. Before moving to Devuan, I'll try everything I can, to reduce the scope of systemd in my systems, like turn off resolved, networkd, cordumpd, importd, efi, tpm, hibernate (a couple of others).

                  When I started to use Linux 20 years ago, I always compiled my kernels and I used my own kernels for years, today, looks like that I'll have to rebuild the systemd package to try to make it sane.

                  And Devuan is getting there!

                  If you guys can't understand a joke like "format c:", please, just go away.

                  :-P

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Somebody should port GNU Hurd to systemd. It is only way to finish Hurd.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X