Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS For Linux 5.2 Sees Better SMR Drive Support, Various Fixes

Phoronix: F2FS For Linux 5.2 Sees Better SMR Drive Support, Various Fixes

While no flashy features like EXT4's case-insensitive option with Linux 5.2, the Flash-Friendly File-System (F2FS) did see a good amount of fixes and other improvements for this new kernel round...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can someone that has used F2FS for an extended period maybe comment on its stability.
    I have played with it, but are too scared to use it for anything serious at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
      Can someone that has used F2FS for an extended period maybe comment on its stability.
      I have played with it, but are too scared to use it for anything serious at the moment.
      Had a lot of success with it on SD cards with the raspberry pi. Not really used it elsewhere.

Comment

I've used it for about three months on a SSD. Had no problems, but didn't really see any performance advantage either. Couldn't shrink it, so I switched back to ext4.

I didn't experience any corruption or anything like that, but 3 months on a single device isn't an extended test. Maybe for eMMC there would be a bigger performance advantage.

Comment

I've used F2FS for around a year around two years ago on a USB stick. With severe IO bottlenecks, it felt slightly faster than EXT4, but I've never done any proper benchmarks. It was stable, but it required a root partition with a different file system supported by GNU GRUB (which will support F2FS in 2.04, I'm planning to upgrade coreboot once it rolls out and switch file systems on my laptop). FSCK times were quite long, but I assume it was due to the IO bottleneck.

Comment

On my NVME drive, its really amazing and fast. Ive never had any problems except for long FSCK times when I switch kernels, but this seems to be fixed in this update.

Comment

Been using it on my laptop and desktop for more than a year. No probs so far.

I lost power at least 5 times on each machine but nothing of value was corrupted.

Comment

Using it on my root for system around a 3 years (SSD). No problems.
                Last edited by Necrogrinder; 16 May 2019, 05:57 AM.

Comment

I did, two years ago, and lost my files. I was running it on top of dm-crypt, though.

It was faster, yes, but since then I've been more conservative running on ext4 (which is faster now than it was in the day).

Comment

Working...
                  X