Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NixOS Takes Action After 1.2GB/s ZFS Encryption Speed Drops To 200MB/s With Linux 5.0+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Virtualbox is far inferior to KVM/QEMU. What the fuck are you talking about.
    And in many ways far superior.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
      We'll see about the reputation... Redhat has been bought by IBM.
      TBH compared to contemporary practices IBM is a saint. Everyone is overcharging. Everyone is leveraging market dominance to force customers to use their tech exclusively. But only few get anywhere near IBM's dedication to backwards compatibility and free open source. It's true it comes out of desperation for any sort of relevance... But it doesn't change the fact they're the most FOSS friendly guys around nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        And in many ways far superior.
        The only way it is superior is because it is a bit easier to use if you have Windows guests as it includes the windows driver iso.

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
          Nope, they can't. When you do something with the FPU or SSE registers in the kernel, you need to save their previous state, and then restore them back to their old contents when you're done. The kernel saves/restores the common registers for you, but the math ones are more rarely used, so it saves time overall to not automatically do this on every interrupt and syscall. The functions that were removed and replaced with GPL-only ones are exactly these save/restore ones.
          Yes they can. It's just that now they need to do this "save and restore" functionality themselves instead of relying on deprecated kernel infrastructure.

Comment

Honestly I have no idea why Oracle keeps Solaris proprietary. My humble opinion is that they will collect more money from support if Solaris is under CDDL .
            ZFS is a pivotal part of really brilliant Solaris architecture. I will cal folks behind it a real "visioners" , not those who found how to sell inferior mp3 players to the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedobot View Post
              Honestly I have no idea why Oracle keeps Solaris proprietary. My humble opinion is that they will collect more money from support if Solaris is under CDDL .
              ZFS is a pivotal part of really brilliant Solaris architecture. I will cal folks behind it a real "visioners" , not those who found how to sell inferior mp3 players to the masses.
              Oracle is killing off Solaris, that's their goal. They don't need competition for their RHEL rebrand with btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedobot View Post
                First look up what CDDL actually is. It's weak copyleft license, somewhere between BSD license and GPL. It's not "proprietary"

Comment

No sane enthusiast gamer would use flippin' Linux. "Sunday gamers" are not it. Problem is not only relative lack of games, problem is inferior performance of existing games (compared to windows) and relative lack of 3rd party software important to gamers. Windows platform has plethora of fine-tuning software for over-clocking for example.
                  Show me Linux-equivalent of MSI Afterburner for example? Or Linux-specific support software for top-of-the-line gaming peripherals? Keyboards, mouse, headsets, joysticks, pedals, throttles..

Lets top it off with the "issue" where Linux-ported games usually lack anti-cheat engines (Valve's games being sole exception) and are lagging multiple versions behind Windows variants.
                  Last edited by aht0; 12 May 2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    wrong for gamers, irrelevant for audio producers (as it's not designed for that anyway, they will want to use Jack as that's the right tool for the job)
                    Everything has bug reports, I have no idea of what you are talking about for the rest, and you probably don't either.

new software does not run with old unsupported kernel modified to run a crap firmware for crap device. NOTABUG FIXYOUROWNSHIT

you know what a "polkit" even is?

what have windows users to do with anything.
                    Please, for the lord of god, stop feeding him/her(it?). He's in every thread, always doing that. A lot of people here (including you and me) already put him in evidence. Just ignore him.

Comment

Who is even using Ubuntu 9 in 2019 for gaming.

Wicd works as expected from top to down, you have control over your networking hardware. Wicd is ready and stable.
                      Wicd is unmaintained and unsupported, it also lacks many features.
                      NetworkManager works as expected from top to down, you have control over your networking hardware. NetworkManager is ready and stable.

systemd is for servers, not for desktops and embedded devices.
                      systemd is for all devices that are supported by mainline linux. Shitty embedded hardware shipped with an ancient hacked kernel should really use shitty inferior firmware like Android.

Polkit is a typical IBM made badly designed and implement useless software.
                      IBM has nothing to do with it.

Gnome3 stops more people to use Linux distributions.
                      Wrong, GNOME3 attracts people that like that kind of GUI to Linux, since Windows has dropped it in Windows 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X