Btrfs Gets Some Useful Fixes/Improvements With The Linux 5.2 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Gets Some Useful Fixes/Improvements With The Linux 5.2 Kernel

Phoronix: Btrfs Gets Some Useful Fixes/Improvements With The Linux 5.2 Kernel

David Sterba sent in the Btrfs file-system updates already for the now-open Linux 5.2 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    TRIM/Discard now skips unallocated chunks not touched since the last mount
    This is great, but what about when the filesystem is newly-created? Will fstrim still reclaim the empty space, or will I have to fill the filesystem with a giant file and delete it, just to trim the blocks from whatever was on the previous filesystem?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      This is great, but what about when the filesystem is newly-created? Will fstrim still reclaim the empty space, or will I have to fill the filesystem with a giant file and delete it, just to trim the blocks from whatever was on the previous filesystem?

the -K | --nodiscard option prevents trim from being executed at mkfs time... there you go

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        mkfs.btrfs will discard the whole block device for you prior to actually creating the filesystem.

Comment

Working...
        X