X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I did use it as well quite successful, it's not the fault of this project that more and more hardware vendors lock everything behind firmware. I'm happy that this project exists!
    Never understood why people are afraid of running firmware. Have you ever considered that hardware may contain hardware backdoors and firmware is simply not required to get access to your devices without you knowing about that? Intel has their notorious IME. AMD has their own equivalent. ARM/Qualcomm/MediaTek/Huawei/etc. might have it too.

Leave a comment:

• Shiba
    replied
    Originally posted by mzs_47 View Post
    Shiba
    Can you please share the details about the hardware? I would prefer to run libre GNU/Linux distribution.
    Sure, but I don't think I will be helpful. It's my old Dell Mini 9 (netbook), with an Atheros Wi-Fi card replacing the default Broadcom. Sorry

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by zexelon View Post
    lack of support for virtualization in the consumer sector though is very annoying.
    I just pcie-passthrough stuff to VMs.

Leave a comment:

• zexelon
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven
    You must be new. NVIDIA always had a proprietary Linux driver. Also AMD had their own (which traditionally sucked balls).
    Yup, I am new to the Phoronix forums

You are not wrong about your analysis of AMD's proprietary driver. The nVidia one is quote good and what I run now, their lack of support for virtualization in the consumer sector though is very annoying.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    I really have never understood some of the Linux communities severe hatred towards any form of closed software. Its a choice whether a company or individual wants to open or close source their software and Linux claims to be all about choice... except this one.
    Linux never claimed to be about choice. That's the main thing you got wrong there.

Linux is about open source, because of various reasons. It's not designed to be friendly towards proprietary applications or drivers, but firmware is usually OK.

At least in the recent decade or so more moderate voices have become louder in the Linux echo system and we can now typically run our videocards and other hardware at full speed with the manufacturer supported code!
    You must be new. NVIDIA always had a proprietary Linux driver. Also AMD had their own (which traditionally sucked balls).

Leave a comment:

• Aleksei
    replied
    Originally posted by mzs_47 View Post
    Can you please share the details about the hardware? I would prefer to run libre GNU/Linux distribution.
    Depends on how far you want to go - if down to free BIOS/EFI and disabling Intel ME completely, then the choices are quite limited I'm afraid - check HW compatibility list on https://libreboot.org/ . For more moderate options there are me_cleaner https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/...cleaner-status and Coreboot https://www.coreboot.org/users.html. For individual devices check out https://h-node.org/.

Leave a comment:

• Aleksei
    replied
    I really have never understood some of the Linux communities...
    "Linux communities" is not equivalent with "Free Software communities", although there is an overlap of course.

severe hatred towards any form of closed software.
    Its a choice whether a company or individual wants to open or close source their software...
    "severe hatred" is a bit much. I, as a user, want to run my system entirely with free software (and I do, save for maybe controllers inside SSDs). That's why I choose this blobless kernel and HW that doesn't require blobs. Just because a company wants to do X with their HW/SW doesn't mean I should accept it.
    Last edited by Aleksei; 07 May 2019, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mzs_47
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    Another one here. I happen to have a PC which doesn't require proprietary blobs.
    Shiba

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    That's a pretty unusual quoting style. Are you on mobile? (if so, you can find the quote option by rotating your device or tapping on the empty gap after the like button)

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I presume the sole user of this kernel is Richard Stallman.
    I use it on machines with Debian, openSUSE, and Trisquel. Runs better for me, less clutter. I don't see why anyone would run a hybrid proprietary mashup of a kernel unless they absolutely had to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X