Linux 5.1 Has Been Released With Plenty Of New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I'll wait for at least 5.1.4 before upgrading to it. I've been burnt enough in the past to run new "stable" releases.
    Yeah, I'm doing the same when I compile newly released Windows kernel. However, they never fix their bugs.

Comment

Well, this is the first official kernel I've been able to compile and use without patches to fix R9 390 GPU problems.

FreeSync appears to be working, suspend/resume work, and so far I haven't been able to detect any artifacts or glitches in videos or games. I've also had issues using xrandr to restore my monitor refresh rate in the past (it has to be done manually because of a long standing XFCE bug), but that problem appears to be resolved as well. To top it off even OpenCL finally appears to be working, though you have to use opencl-amd instead of opencl-mesa. Vulkaninfo still crashes, but from what I understand that's a bug in vulkaninfo, and vulkan itself is indeed working.

Keep in mind I've only been running the new kernel for about 4 hours, and after 3+ years of waiting I still find it difficult to believe everything is actually working, and will continue to work, but if it is and does I'll be very happy.

Thank you to all the developers for your hard work, and I guess after all my complaining I'm going to have to play at least a few games for a few hours to finally use my fancy R9 390 and 32" 1440 144KHz FreeSync display! As I've said before I'm really not much of a gamer, I just wanted all my expensive stuff to work!
      Last edited by muncrief; 06 May 2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        How do we specify the new zstd option for btrfs per folder and per mount?
        Alright I looked at the code and it's the same as zlib, ex: compress=zstd:10

Comment

Working...
        X