Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DAV1D 0.3 AV1 Decoder Released With Many Performance Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DAV1D 0.3 AV1 Decoder Released With Many Performance Improvements

    Phoronix: DAV1D 0.3 AV1 Decoder Released With Many Performance Improvements

    Version 0.3 of the "dav1d" AV1 video decoder was released on Tuesday and it delivers faster performance...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d-0.3-Released

  • #2
    In the meanwhile, the dav1d benchmark remains stuck at v0.1.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      In the meanwhile, the dav1d benchmark remains stuck at v0.1.
      You know, Michael accepts pull requests... :P

      Comment


      • #4
        Just tested this out in firefox and vlc on Gentoo. Definitely making some nice progress

        Comment


        • #5
          Hmmm... their linked blog post doesn't even say what hardware was used to run the benchmarks. You have to scroll down to line 40 of the linked spreadsheet to see it's a i5-4590, running Windows 10.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's impressive seeing how much this decoder has improved in such a short time. Hopefully the encoder side will see large improvements this year as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              In the meanwhile, the dav1d benchmark remains stuck at v0.1.
              Been waiting on the developers to merge this: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/d...e_requests/670

              That they've been working on a built-in FPS counter metrics and was supposed to make it into this release but sadly didn't.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post

                Been waiting on the developers to merge this: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/d...e_requests/670

                That they've been working on a built-in FPS counter metrics and was supposed to make it into this release but sadly didn't.
                I already submitted some patches via mail which "implement" this feature...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by boxie View Post

                  You know, Michael accepts pull requests... :P
                  To you all 7 users:

                  I've submitted a patch long ago, which changes the Seconds metric to FPS, only to be told Michael would wait until 0.2 to merge my patch.

                  He never upgraded to 0.2...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                    To you all 7 users:

                    I've submitted a patch long ago, which changes the Seconds metric to FPS, only to be told Michael would wait until 0.2 to merge my patch.

                    He never upgraded to 0.2...
                    Yeah following the 0.2 release I heard from Luc saying there was implementation within dav1d going on itself and it's been dragged out longer than anticipated for getting it in the release. In retrospect should have just pulled the patch into 0.2 had I known it was going to take this long to add the support to the program itself.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X