Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.2 Optimization To Help With Unnecessary Cache Line Movements & TLB Misses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 5.2 Optimization To Help With Unnecessary Cache Line Movements & TLB Misses

    Phoronix: Linux 5.2 Optimization To Help With Unnecessary Cache Line Movements & TLB Misses

    VMware can be thanked for one of the performance optimizations coming with the upcoming Linux 5.2 kernel cycle...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...o-Optimization

  • #2
    Dang...5.2 is shaping up to be one of those point updates that punches above its weight. Looking forward to it!

    Comment


    • #3
      This does not affect 64 bit systems, right? Only 32bit?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by treba View Post
        This does not affect 64 bit systems, right? Only 32bit?
        I think it applies to both. The x86 architecture family has an instruction set which is largely shared between 32-bit and 64-bit - so a lot of the code can be, too. Where there are specific 32-bit (X86_32) or 64-bit (X86_64) features, they are specified for inclusion via the Kconfig and Makefiles in this and higher-level directories.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

          I think it applies to both. The x86 architecture family has an instruction set which is largely shared between 32-bit and 64-bit - so a lot of the code can be, too. Where there are specific 32-bit (X86_32) or 64-bit (X86_64) features, they are specified for inclusion via the Kconfig and Makefiles in this and higher-level directories.
          Ah cool, thanks for that info!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            Dang...5.2 is shaping up to be one of those point updates that punches above its weight. Looking forward to it!
            The versioning is arbitrary. 5.0 wasn't as big a step up from 4.20 because the holiday season coincided with the merge window, so there was less work done there.

            Comment

            Working...
            X