Linux 5.2 Kernel To Introduce A Generic Counter Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
    It would be amazing if one of the kernel releases had less lines of code than previous on. But I don't think that will ever happen.
    Why would that be amazing? Unless you're envisioning some incredible refactoring the likes of rewriting the entire thing, you're just asking for less features.
    Lines of code don't mean anything, if you think they do then please never run an IT business. What matters is how that code is isolated and organized and what it's implementing. If an algorithm takes more lines of code and works better in every way to an algorithm that takes less lines of code, then the bigger one is better.
    In this case, having one central framework to do a job that every driver has to do is just better in every way. If there's one implementation of something then there's only that one implementation to check for bugs, if there's 100 implementations of that thing then there's 100 possible points of failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Many thanks, this issue could cause crashes?
      ???

I dunno. I'm only smart enough to understand the reasoning behind this.

Comment

Many thanks, this issue could cause crashes?
        Code duplication is a Bad Thingâ„¢, which goes against all good programming practices. It even has its own (albeit incomplete) Wikipedia page. Giving just one example, it's a maintenance hell.

Comment

Originally posted by fakenmc View Post

Code duplication is a Bad Thingâ„¢, which goes against all good programming practices. It even has its own (albeit incomplete) Wikipedia page. Giving just one example, it's a maintenance hell.
          I ask because I note that many times the machine seems to be overloaded. Cpu is often overloaded during activities such as a simple opening of a tab in the browser and it is difficult to manage the HDD when the RAM is full. So there is something that overload the system.

Comment

I ask because I note that many times the machine seems to be overloaded. Cpu is often overloaded during activities such as a simple opening of a tab in the browser and it is difficult to manage the HDD when the RAM is full. So there is something that overload the system.
            Just introducing this feature won't change a thing to the end user, all the machine will do will be the same. The advantage will be that parts of the code will be in one place, instead of 100, so it will be easier to maintain and check for bugs.
            I think what you thought it does is it replaces e.g. a lot of processes would become one, saving resources. That is not the case, it just makes you don't have to type doubled code in hundred places, the computer will stil have to put it in those hundred places and execute it a hundred times.
            It just makes work easier to programmers and maintainers, and should help with code quality in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Sounds interesting and useful...also sounds like another way for Samsung to get KNOX counts.

When I read the last paragraph, I thought it said Geiger Counter code and my first thought was "Cool, but really I hope I don't have to ever use that code".
              What is it with radiation that flips people out. Using a Geiger counter isn't something to be feared. Frankly you should be happy to have the freedom to use such a device to explore the world around you!

The interesting thing though is that it looks looks like this code could be setup to use processor hardware counters to implement an actual Gieger counter. Properly done we could see a wide range of hardware support via this update. Pretty cool really.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

What is it with radiation that flips people out. Using a Geiger counter isn't something to be feared. Frankly you should be happy to have the freedom to use such a device to explore the world around you!

The interesting thing though is that it looks looks like this code could be setup to use processor hardware counters to implement an actual Gieger counter. Properly done we could see a wide range of hardware support via this update. Pretty cool really.
                Because instead of getting super powers, we get cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Because instead of getting super powers, we get cancer.
                  Na, there is so much more in the world that can kill you or give cancer to you. We today produce for example a ton of arsenic due to its use in chemical industry. That stuff can kill you for ever, radioactive materials decay within a few 100 to million years normally making them much less dangerous in the grand scheme of things. Just compare how many people were killed or damaged by lead poisoning vs the radium girls. The scales are totally different. This is not to say that you should not be careful with radioactivity but people are super afraid of it while happily working right next to highly dangerous chemicals without betting an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post

Na, there is so much more in the world that can kill you or give cancer to you. We today produce for example a ton of arsenic due to its use in chemical industry. That stuff can kill you for ever, radioactive materials decay within a few 100 to million years normally making them much less dangerous in the grand scheme of things. Just compare how many people were killed or damaged by lead poisoning vs the radium girls. The scales are totally different. This is not to say that you should not be careful with radioactivity but people are super afraid of it while happily working right next to highly dangerous chemicals without betting an eye.
                    Arsenic is a chemical element. We didn't make it, we just extracted it... and, just like with radioactive decay, it will eventually take on a safer form. If nothing else, when plate tectonics pull it back into the mantle.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
                      It would be amazing if one of the kernel releases had less lines of code than previous on. But I don't think that will ever happen.
                      If you want less code use older linux kernels

Comment

Working...
                      X