GNU Shepherd 0.6 Released - Adds Support For One-Shot Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I am using systemd, but I wish it would have socket-activated daemons. Maybe it does have that, but I don't know how. I wish it was simple and easy.
    As an occasional PHP web developer, I have Apache installed, but don't want it to get started on boot, only when my web browser connects to it.
    You have asked this already in the past, you already got answers.

Comment

If I can just run one command to turn on socket-activation for a service.
      yes https://www.systutorials.com/docs/li...temd-activate/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        But it is configured to always run on start. I don't know how that command is going to help me.

Comment

But it is configured to always run on start.
          no.

if you want to run it on system boot you have to write the 2 text files from the other link https://www.linux.com/blog/end-road-...s-socket-units

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            no.

if you want to run it on system boot you have to write the 2 text files from the other link https://www.linux.com/blog/end-road-...s-socket-units
            Oh, that sucks. This systemd isn't so good. I don't like having to create files and stuff.
            I think it was much easier back in the days of Upstart, I think it was just one command.

Comment

Oh, that sucks. This systemd isn't so good.
              So migrate to Shepherd then.

Comment

Oh, that sucks. This systemd isn't so good. I don't like having to create files and stuff.
                I think it was much easier back in the days of Upstart, I think it was just one command.
                With Upstart you had to edit the daemon script so this was not something that you could do with a command unless some one released a tool that performed the edit of course (and there is nothing stopping anyone from writing a similar tool for systemd).

Comment

I think it was just one command.
                  Upstart didn't provide it.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                    (and there is nothing stopping anyone from writing a similar tool for systemd).
                    It's pretty unlikely that someone makes a tool to automate the creation of 2 text files with 3 lines of text in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So migrate to Shepherd then.
                      Sheperd does not support this feature. I'm afraid he will be left alone in the dark or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X