Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Shepherd 0.6 Released - Adds Support For One-Shot Services

Phoronix: GNU Shepherd 0.6 Released - Adds Support For One-Shot Services

For those trying to avoid systemd, the Guile-based GNU Shepherd init system / service manager is out with a new feature release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...U-Shepherd-0.6

If people are trying to get away from Systemd due to perceived "bloat", the last thing they're going to want is another GNU abomination.

Comment

debianxfce Where you at?

Comment

trying to avoid systemd is like trying to use a custom black theme. at some point you figure out you have better things to do than to fight with your system all the time.

Comment

I'm sure the one user will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            I'm sure the one user will be happy.
            That must mean Shepherd has 0 other users, if the only user is the developer. Wow.

Comment

I am using systemd, but I wish it would have socket-activated daemons. Maybe it does have that, but I don't know how. I wish it was simple and easy.
              As an occasional PHP web developer, I have Apache installed, but don't want it to get started on boot, only when my web browser connects to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That must mean Shepherd has 0 other users, if the only user is the developer. Wow.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I am using systemd, but I wish it would have socket-activated daemons. Maybe it does have that, but I don't know how. I wish it was simple and easy.
                As an occasional PHP web developer, I have Apache installed, but don't want it to get started on boot, only when my web browser connects to it.
                It does.

https://www.linux.com/blog/end-road-...s-socket-units
                https://www.freedesktop.org/software...et-proxyd.html
                Last edited by Britoid; 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  You haven't googled

Comment

I don't want the idiotic INI syntax of systemd, let alone Guile...

Comment

Working...
                    X