No announcement yet.

Kodi 18.2 Released With VA-API Fixes, OpenGL ES Rendering Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said "try from usb stick" - not to "use it on regularly basis". That way you can see what works on your hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
      I said "try from usb stick" - not to "use it on regularly basis". That way you can see what works on your hardware.
      Then you need 2 USB sticks. Way LibreElec installer works. You'll download the "LibreELEC USB-SD Creator” app, write your image on it and after inserting it in your computer, discover it's just another ncurses-based installer. IF you want to try actual LibreElec you'll have to run that first USB stick against the other and do actual install on 2nd. Oh, and LibreElec "installer stick" could not see blank micro-SD card in my machine (it has 5-in-1 adapter), had to be put on 2nd USB stick. Oddball and annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        Then you need 2 USB sticks. Way LibreElec installer works ... [snip] Oddball and annoying.
        LE installer USB's also support "run" (boot from USB with persistent storage" and "live" (boot from USB with non-persistent storage). Edit kernel boot params in extlinux.conf from "installer" to one of those options or press any key at the syslinux boot prompt to stop automatic boot into installer mode and type your preference. It's deliberately never been added into the main installer screens as it would result in a much larger number of users defaulting to "run from USB stick" which then drives an uptick in users having reliability issues; we'd prefer to herd people towards installing on disk/ssd storage with better longevity.

Comment

Oddball and annoying.
          You may think it's oddball, but I don't think you know how it works.

You have three options - "installer", "live" and "run". If you don't type anything the first time you boot (5 second prompt) then you'll boot into the "installer" mode.

And once you boot using "run" mode (persistent - expanding to use all available space on the USB drive) or "live" mode (not persistent - uses only RAM) then LibreELEC will continue to boot using that same mode by default (after the 5 second prompt) until such time as you decide to manually use a different mode, eg. "installer" to run the installer again and install LibreELEC to internal storage.

The installer will install LibreELEC to whatever storage device the kernel is able to find, so if your microSD card-in-an-adapter isn't found then it's a BIOS/kernel/adapter issue. LibreELEC is a lightweight distribution and doesn't support every memory card reader chipset known to man which may explain why your adapter isn't working - open an issue on the LibreELEC forum with dmesg details and maybe support can be added in future.

Finally, a new LibreELEC 9.0.2 image with latest Kodi 18.2 is in the final stages of internal testing and will be released soon!

Comment

Originally posted by milhouse View Post

You may think it's oddball, but I don't think you know how it works.

You have three options - "installer", "live" and "run". If you don't type anything the first time you boot (5 second prompt) then you'll boot into the "installer" mode.

And once you boot using "run" mode (persistent - expanding to use all available space on the USB drive) or "live" mode (not persistent - uses only RAM) then LibreELEC will continue to boot using that same mode by default (after the 5 second prompt) until such time as you decide to manually use a different mode, eg. "installer" to run the installer again and install LibreELEC to internal storage.

The installer will install LibreELEC to whatever storage device the kernel is able to find, so if your microSD card-in-an-adapter isn't found then it's a BIOS/kernel/adapter issue. LibreELEC is a lightweight distribution and doesn't support every memory card reader chipset known to man which may explain why your adapter isn't working - open an issue on the LibreELEC forum with dmesg details and maybe support can be added in future.

Finally, a new LibreELEC 9.0.2 image with latest Kodi 18.2 is in the final stages of internal testing and will be released soon!
            Wouldn't bootable hybrid ISO you perform install from for PC platform, be much more straightforward? Live mode you could run from the same. Want USB stick, sure, grab random "dd for windows" software or just use dd (Linux) and end of angst. That's part of the reason I called this oddball. Special image creation program, then three-way boot loader option..

I tried "run" mode or whatever expanded the usb stick file systems. Upon reboot I noticed boot prompt had same "installer" mode still as default and just shut it off right there. I won't be sitting near with a keyboard each time I want to reboot it.

Comment

Wouldn't bootable hybrid ISO you perform install from for PC platform, be much more straightforward? Live mode you could run from the same. Want USB stick, sure, grab random "dd for windows" software or just use dd (Linux) and end of angst. That's part of the reason I called this oddball. Special image creation program, then three-way boot loader option..
              For our target audience spinning optical storage is becoming less and less common whereas USB is ubiquitous, hence why ISO support is not really relevant these days.

As for how the USB memory stick is created, it's not really a special image creation tool, it's just a GUI for dd (but also handles image downloading for you) - you can use many other tools to achieve the same dd effect in Windows when writing an img to a USB memory stick. How do you write your ISO on Windows, I'm sure you use a tool for that, so I don't really see why you think this is oddball. On Linux you can just dd the LibreELEC img directly to your USB storage, no special tool required although it's there if you're not familiar with dd or want the convenience of allowing the tool to handle the downloads.

I tried "run" mode or whatever expanded the usb stick file systems. Upon reboot I noticed boot prompt had same "installer" mode still as default and just shut it off right there. I won't be sitting near with a keyboard each time I want to reboot it.
              Yes, that's syslinux for you - it doesn't show all the options, or what the new default is. Anyway, if you had allowed it to boot past the prompt it would have booted into "run" mode (as that is the mode you used last). Even if you had booted into "installer" mode it's fully prompted and won't do anything destructive until you've answered half a dozen prompts and you have confirmed you absolutely do want to write to whatever target disk you have chosen.

Comment

Working...
              X