Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbolt Is Seeing A Lot Of Improvements For Linux 5.2

Phoronix: Thunderbolt Is Seeing A Lot Of Improvements For Linux 5.2

Adding to the excitement of the Linux 5.2 kernel changes are a lot of Thunderbolt improvements expected to be introduced in this next kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good thing Thunderbolt is going to be merged into USB 4 (or whatever the next version is called).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Good thing Thunderbolt is going to be merged into USB 4 (or whatever the next version is called).
      *USB4

And it's a good thing. I'm still having nightmares about the USB 3.2x2=6.4 Gen2 or some shit names they chose.

Comment

What do you mean "merged"? Did I miss something major that's in the works?

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

What do you mean "merged"? Did I miss something major that's in the works?
          Literally merged. USB 4 will include not just USB and DisplayPort like USB-C now, but also PCIe like Thunderbolt. Intel decided it's time to stop pushing incompatible NIHs and opened Thunderbolt to be included in USB spec.

See https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/04/...bolt-3-40gbps/

Comment

Literally merged. USB 4 will include not just USB and DisplayPort like USB-C now, but also PCIe like Thunderbolt. Intel decided it's time to stop pushing incompatible NIHs and opened Thunderbolt to be included in USB spec.

See https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/04/...bolt-3-40gbps/
            I don't think that "incompatible NIH" is applicable to a technology that's one of a kind. As of now, there is nothing for Thunderbolt to be potentially compatible to. It's good that Thunderbolt will adopt open licensing, though.

However, I'm slightly worried, how this "merger" is ever going to work? Does it mean that any device that's going to formally support USB4 will have to implement PCIe? That's not gonna happen.

Comment

However, I'm slightly worried, how this "merger" is ever going to work? Does it mean that any device that's going to formally support USB4 will have to implement PCIe? That's not gonna happen.
              Not any different from how USB-C works now. Not every device that uses USB-C supports DisplayPort. So I don't see how PCIe is any worse. Device can support a subset or all features - the connection is still the same.

Comment

I'm fairly certain the next iteration will be named USB 3.3 x2 +3 TurboSpeed v2. Once it's released, they will retroactively rename the previous versions of course. But to avoid consumer confusion, they will use the marketing names SuperSpeed, UltraSpeed, MegaSpeed, and SpeedySpeed to differentiate them.

Comment

I don't think that "incompatible NIH" is applicable to a technology that's one of a kind. As of now, there is nothing for Thunderbolt to be potentially compatible to.
                  Wrong.
                  "Incompatible NIH" fits Intel's Thunderbolt because until they opened the spec the only available thunderbolt host controllers were designed by Intel and worked only on (some specific) Intel hardware. Sure you could connect any kind of client devices to your specific Intel hardware device.

Now that they opened the spec we might start seeing Thunderbolt host controllers that can run on AMD, or ARM or whatever else. Then and ONLY THEN we can talk of actual compatibility, standards and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    *USB4

And it's a good thing. I'm still having nightmares about the USB 3.2x2=6.4 Gen2 or some shit names they chose.
                    They'll get to that in due time my good man

Comment

Working...
                    X