Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zstd 1.4 Brings Even Better Compression / Decompression Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Zstd 1.4 Brings Even Better Compression / Decompression Performance

    Phoronix: Zstd 1.4 Brings Even Better Compression / Decompression Performance

    The engineers at Facebook maintaining Zstandard "Zstd" as a speedy real-time compression algorithm debuted version 1.4.0 on Tuesday with some notable improvements...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d-1.4-Released

  • #2
    Also a new lz4 release with decompression speed improvements:
    https://github.com/lz4/lz4/releases/tag/v1.9.0

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by oibaf View Post
      Also a new lz4 release with decompression speed improvements:
      https://github.com/lz4/lz4/releases/tag/v1.9.0
      LZ4 got integrated into Zstd afaik. It's the same author anyway ...

      Comment


      • #4
        Michael any chance to get benchmarks of 1.4 vs. earlier release(-s)?

        Comment


        • #5
          Is this update somehow used by the kernel usage of zstd?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sdack View Post
            LZ4 got integrated into Zstd afaik. It's the same author anyway ...
            No, they are still different products....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by geearf View Post
              Is this update somehow used by the kernel usage of zstd?
              Obviously not yet, it will have to wait. Hopefully soon, faster ZRAM is always good.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm surprised facebook didn't come up with a cloud compression service, you upload all your data, they compress it for you and promise to delete their copy, and don't.
                linux addict, got the scars, the grey beard and the t-shirt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Obviously not yet, it will have to wait. Hopefully soon, faster ZRAM is always good.
                  It's also nice if you read from a slow disk or SD card.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Obviously not yet, it will have to wait. Hopefully soon, faster ZRAM is always good.
                    faster btrfs too!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X