No announcement yet.

Reiser4 Brought To The Linux 5.0 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've told many of you plenty new. The article even mentions ZFS which is incompatible with the license of Linux and will always stay out of tree - does that make it not worth writing articles about because of it? Where is your proof that there is lack of ability to maintain it? Thats not the case and the developers have become more in numbers with the once-leading developer still actually sticking to the design and principles that were the foundation of its design. And if you fail to acknowledge that reiser4 is just as easy or easier to implement than say ZFSoL, then you are missing out on things that in the future could have saved your data WHEN that happens for those of you with btrfs. And if its the actual name some of you want to change because it's so offensive - well then I feel sorry for how overly sensitive you are and lack of ability to see that Hans Reiser is serving his time, its predecessor is already mainlined and was default in SuSe Linux for a long time - why dont you complain to Novel for still being one of the few companies to provide support for Reiserv3 then... person vs technology - you cant mix those because of a single individual.

Comment

Personally I think its a much bigger concern that filesystems like btrfs which ARE mainlined can end in it's users having huge data loss and corruption - yeah it's still not marked as stable and THAT is what a failure to maintain something looks like. I'd chose reiser4 over something that is broken by design despite that btrfs is mainlined. It's 6 pages of useless comments on a positive news article which unfortunately is somewhat wrong in it's statements, and 90% of them talk about renaming the project and calling it 'ninafs' - thats just sick...

Comment

In most parts of the world, a diagnosis within the autism spectrum disorders called 'Asperger Syndrome' - The guy who first wrote about the medical condition, Hans Asperger which also named the condition 'autistic psychopaths', has been directly proved to be part of the child euthanasia in nazi-germany at tye Am Spiegelgrund, when Hitler was their leader. He selectively chose the faith of up to multiple hundreds of child ( (murders) for 'research'. In 2019, the name is still not changed because of it in the ICD 10/11 which among others is us used by WHO, even though this in this case, it was in fact the murders and his actions which made it possible to describe the diagnosis which in almost all parts of the world still using the name Asperger syndrome, except for the ECD which put the diagnosis under the autism spectrum in general because the allegedly lack of medical descriptions about the disorder. TLDR; Even today the name is used despite being a child murderer and part of the nazi party. This is as close as you get to 'Hitlers syndrome' yet it still holds it's original name.

For those of you who are so offensed by the file system whose name was also used because he was at the very least the visionary behind it's design and model, compare the two identical cases (in principle) and see how little the name of something actually means.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Yup.
          Any one of them could fork it tomorrow and call it "NinaFS" or whatever, but none of them will do squat.
          I don't want to work with people either who can only see values in code but little else. It's fun to write great software with a bunch of young people. Nobody cares how you do it as long as the result is great. That's freedom. But when someone turns out to be a murderer then it kicks the doors to society wide open, everyone gets exposed and judged because of one person doing something unthinkable. That's where the fun ends.

Many ran from the project back then and they'll know why. I can very much understand and appreciate their reaction. Those who remained and even kept the name are then simply mislead by false ideals. Writing software isn't everything in life, but you won't find out if you never do anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
            Yeah I’m a “social justice warrior” because I can’t fathom why they would continue to develop a half assed filesystem and continue to name it after it’s murdering creator. Yeah, you are a sociopath.
            Well, posting on forums demanding that people should rename a FS due to it's original creator is a convicted murderer is exactly what the anti-SJW crowd claims is SJW behaviour so in fact this thread is the first time that I've seen those allusive SJW:s that apparently have infected every aspect of Linux and open source.

Comment

Originally posted by petterk View Post
              Personally I think its a much bigger concern that filesystems like btrfs which ARE mainlined can end in it's users having huge data loss and corruption - yeah it's still not marked as stable and THAT is what a failure to maintain something looks like. I'd chose reiser4 over something that is broken by design despite that btrfs is mainlined. It's 6 pages of useless comments on a positive news article which unfortunately is somewhat wrong in it's statements, and 90% of them talk about renaming the project and calling it 'ninafs' - thats just sick...
              What you have missed here is that it's certain configurations of btrfs that is marked as unstable (especially raid 5/6), for other uses such as raid1,0 and 1+0 it has been stable for years now.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
                where can I get the mushrooms you are on?
                the technical stuff aka code is completly independent of who wrote it no matter if the person is dead or in jail - period
                No its NOT!
                In this case,
                The event of developing that software is the base of a monstrosity, which ended in the killing of Nina Sharanova..

This is not a *tipical case*, like when you work has for a Company, that then works for a Client..
                Here everything is the same thing, since they were married, and was a "family business"

This his different,
                And the fact that some very well known key Open-Source developers left the Community was exactly because it started to become too much toxic..
                This Toxicity, come when people that arrive from a Sauvage Capitalism, enters into the Open-Source sphere..

This people are toxic, and have no values or moral, they don't feet into the spirit of Open Source World,
                But they don't stop to arrive...unfortunately.

Its pollution all over the place nowadays..

Comment

I’m not demanding anything. I’m saying it’s stupid and bad taste.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

What you have missed here is that it's certain configurations of btrfs that is marked as unstable (especially raid 5/6), for other uses such as raid1,0 and 1+0 it has been stable for years now.
                    You are missing both the point and the argument - I am talking about none of the unstable features mentioned, Im talking about a plain CoW setup which does not involve even subvolumes or raid at all. Statistically (Google it) there is no other filesystem that are in the mainline tree with more issues than btrfs. Besides the unstable nature of it, it also has a unique set of limitations that does not exist else where in the mainlined alternatives nor reiser4, among others the fact that using btrfs + mdadm for as an alternative to the support that IS marked as unstable in btrfs' own feature set like the ones you mention, or the lack of swap-file support and even in the most traditional setups with no special features enabled there is a significant amount of bug reports and file corruption to the point where people have created threads asking if ANYONE has used btrfs without issues. That is alarming and is the point - Reiser4 by nature does not actually allow for much of these issues to exist because of the vastly different design it's built on compared to a mainlined FS which further proves my point in that it is in fact political reasons that is hindering the inclusion of reiser4 into the mainline linux kernel, and not a matter of code quality nor standards it does not mest, to be a part of the kernel. This is indeed a very solid FS for any kind of workloads and has been continiously been under active development since around the time ext4 was created. Most features ZFS support on Linux is also available in reiser4, yet ZFS is not mainlined because of the license being incompatible but that is not a problem for reiser4. The fact that its not mainlined does not mean its not a strong contender to any of the other FS available as with ZFS - Many people use ZFS and many people use reiser4 despite having to do a few extra steps to enable it. Anyway, for those using either Arch, Manjaro or other derivates (or gentoo) and are interested in trying it out, I just have just recently created a custom linux-ck based kernel with reiser4 support for both arch and gentoo (will land in AUR asap) and I also intend to start working on a livecd to make it easier as well for those who are not comfortable patching or configuring kernels on their own. Just a heads up for those who are not offended by the reiser name.

Comment

Originally posted by petterk View Post
                      Wow - Im surprised of how ignorant this community really is.

"The once promising file system [...]"

Once? Its one of the more modern approaches to innovative features and design written entirely from scratch.

I just want to add to this that ext4, which everyone think of as a modern filesystem, does not even have feature parity in 2019 with XFS which was designed in 1993 - go figure.

I also think it is really sad that reiserfs4 has not received the consideration it deserves. (On pure technical merit)

Also nobody seems to think that it is a big deal that ZFS performance drops like a rock when it gets past 80% space utilization.
                      I have a lot of respect for ZFS and used it a lot; both with ZOL and zfs-fuse back then. It is rock solid, but this 80% limit problem has been a thorn in my side for years.

Comment

Working...
                      X