Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRUB 2.04 Release Candidate Brings Globs Of New Features

Phoronix: GRUB 2.04 Release Candidate Brings Globs Of New Features

It's been 23 months since the release of GRUB 2.02 while the next release, GRUB 2.04, is finally around the corner. GRUB 2.04-rc1 was issued today as the first test release for this widely-used open-source bootloader...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm waiting for the btrfs zstd support, it really helps to reduce the size on the root device even if lzo was used.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      I'm waiting for the btrfs zstd support, it really helps to reduce the size on the root device even if lzo was used.
      I just keep /boot uncompressed on root you can also use: "btrfs fi defragment -r -clzo /boot" and have root mounted with zstd.

Comment

Originally posted by dispat0r View Post
        I just keep /boot uncompressed on root you can also use: "btrfs fi defragment -r -clzo /boot" and have root mounted with zstd.
        DON'T do it if you use snapshots, otherwise you will get tons of duplication and it will eat all of your free space.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

What about ZFS encryption instead? I would love to see it implemented.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I avoid it entirely and just load my kernels directly through EUFI

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I avoid it entirely and just load my kernels directly through EUFI
              Systemd's bootctl just works fine if you want a menu

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                What about ZFS encryption instead? I would love to see it implemented.
                Looks like very basic support for old Solaris ZFS encryption. That and ZFS compression are the features I'm waiting on.

For the meantime with GRUB we have to use LUKS on a GRUB-compat ZFS volume for encrypted ZFS /boot. The rest of / can be encrypted with ZFS and the unlock key passed by GRUB.

If you don't need GRUB then you can use systemd-boot for a 100% ZFS encrypted setup. My system is just old enough that I don't have UEFI to be able to use systemd-boot. I'm looking into using Clover or some other UEFI emulator combined with systemd-boot to get around the GRUB and no UEFI limitations since I don't think GRUB will support advanced ZFS features anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post

Systemd's bootctl just works fine if you want a menu
                  We're just asking for it.

EDIT: phoronix Can I get my last post approved?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    Ideally I just use the EFISTUB boot method if the computer supports it. Don't even bother with a bootloader and use the EFI menu if you want to boot to other installations. There are some strange EFI implementations that don't work with it, and in that case I use systemd-boot. Both of those methods work fine with an encrypted Btrfs root using ZSTD compression. That's how I have my personal computers configured.

Comment

Working...
                    X