No announcement yet.

Wine 4.6 To Support A Shared Wine-Mono, Reducing Disk Space & Other Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 4.6 To Support A Shared Wine-Mono, Reducing Disk Space & Other Benefits

Phoronix: Wine 4.6 To Support A Shared Wine-Mono, Reducing Disk Space & Other Benefits

Beginning with next week's Wine 4.6 development release, this program for running Windows games/applications on Linux/macOS will now support a shared Wine-Mono installation rather than requiring this open-source .NET implementation to be installed per-prefix. The benefit of this change is reducing the disk space if you keep around multiple Wine prefixes and likely a speedier creation of new prefixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's pretty cool when you have 20 wine prefixes.

Comment

I generally only use a new prefix if something doesn't work in a pre-existing one. However I know proton generates a prefix per game, even thought each prefix has exact same setup.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I generally only use a new prefix if something doesn't work in a pre-existing one. However I know proton generates a prefix per game, even thought each prefix has exact same setup.
        I'm sure it won't remain that way forever (about each prefix being exactly the same). For now, I think Valve is mostly seeking how many games they can get running flawlessly with as few custom tweaks as possible. At least for now, we're able to use winetricks for each proton prefix.

Comment

Allot of the custom tweaks can be made with config files that proton and dxvk support on a per game need and not actually require custom wine prefixes for each game.

The reason people used a prefix per game was because some of the windows resources like xact/dotnet/etc would cause some games to not work. However with the advances being made most games are playing just fine with that stuff even if their not using it. Plus FAudio/mono are shaping up.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            and likely a speedier creation of new prefixes...
            Yep, this should take care of the annoyance of having to sit through 40 hours of wine mono installations for every prefix.

Comment

Working...
            X