Systemd 242 Gearing Up For Release With XBOOTLDR Support, Other New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

Read only root was supported long before systemd existed. And with systemd as well. Just mount / on tmpfs and initialize from image. How else would bootable images work.
    While this is true, I think this feature makes it way easier. No need to prepair images, easy switch between a system with an overlay and without by adding or removing a single option on the kernel command line. I just love to see work done getting such setups up more easily as I think they are very under utilized. Nearly every machine I have set up could have had a read only root where the only time you would need to write to it is package updates. If you now think about filesystems where you could have atomic switched from one state to the other (think you run an update and only then all updates are applied the filesystem atomically switched to the new state so you never have to worry about a partially updated system or the like), that would be very awesome in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
      Can't wait to try this on GNU / Systemdux 19.04 Disco Dingo.
      Can't wait to try this on GNU / Systemdux 19.04 Disco Nect.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

One step closer to a "linux system administrators only OS". How much?
        It's just making it easier to do what embedded devices commonly do already.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 03 April 2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post

Hu? How is this a step to a "linux system administrators only OS"? Most users would not even notice as long as the graphical configuration tools recognize this and have the ability to write back changes to the underlying root partition. As it is, it will most likely only be used by embedded people and enthusiasts.
          Having a read-only root with all changes sent to a tmpfs and lost on reboot is mostly for embedded and other types of custom setups where you want a stateless system that is "wiped" on reboot.

OverlayFS (the Kernel feature this functionality is relying on) is just a layering system. OpenWrt for example layers a writable root partition over a read-only root partition, this allows easy "reset to defaults" or "reboot in recovery mode", as you always have a default root partition you can fallback to.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Code:
            /* SPDX-License-Identifier: LGPL-2.1+ */
            Ibm and ms conspiracy is all legal: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html
            "
            NO WARRANTY
            "

Ibm developers use this effectively to prevent the Linux desktop success. They write badly designed, slow, resource hog and buggy software intentionally.
            https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...t/tree/COPYING
            Code:
            [I]LICENSES/preferred/GPL-2.0[/I]
            Torvalds and the UFO conspiracy is all legal: https://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.php

NO WARRANTY

Kernel developers use this effectively to prevent the Linux desktop success. They write badly designed, slow, resource hog and buggy software intentionally.

Comment

Well it wasn't along until the trolls turned up.

Was good whilst it lasted.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                It's just making it easier to do what embedded devices commonly do already.
                Understood, one day we will have a closed open source Linux OS.

Comment

Called Android.

Comment

What do you think stock firmware of most embedded devices (and smartphone/tablets/mediacenters/TVs) are?
                    Is your desktop linux OS affected by their existence?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      What do you think stock firmware of most embedded devices (and smartphone/tablets/mediacenters/TVs) are?
                      Is your desktop linux OS affected by their existence?
                      Don't worry about facts or logic. Those unix zealots seem always affected by what other people are developing and using. But then again, these are folks who are capable of seeing someone's preferences regarding text editors as a biblical fight of Good vs Evil.
                      Last edited by jacob; 03 April 2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X