GNU Nano 4.0 Text Editor Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Doesn't regular vim support most of that stuff, just without a clickable menu?
    Sure it does, I'm just opposing your point that GVim has worse menu than other code editors you've mentioned.
    It's been a while since I've used GVim so it's hard for me to remember what it supports and what it doesn't. But off the top of my head, other GUI editors allow stuff like color-coded tabs, automatic bracketing, a mini-map, autocompletion, visibly "collapsing" your code's bracketed functions, bookmarked positions within files, a tree view of the local directory, various visual cues (beyond syntax highlighting), and a way to easily edit global preferences within the editor. Again, some of these might be in GVim, I just don't remember if they are.
    Some of what you're listing I've listed in my prev. comment, so yeah, it does support it. For other points: color of tabs follows system color scheme; there's a plugin for Sublime-like minimap; different plugins for automatic bracketing, and autocompletion is supported too.

FWIW, some of that I've just googled for typing the answer as I'm not a gvim user.

It is worth pointing out there are some vi-like GUI programs that offer most (if not all) of the "fancy" and convenient features of other editors. Some editors also allow for a "vi mode". So, if you like vi's "quirky" style of operation but want all of the bells and whistles, you can do that.
    What "bells and whistles"? I feel like you're trying to make a point about gvim lacking something; but I just don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      Sure it does, I'm just opposing your point that GVim has worse menu than other code editors you've mentioned.
      I didn't say it had a worse menu, just that it's basically vim with a few GUI shortcuts (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing).
      Some of what you're listing I've listed in my prev. comment, so yeah, it does support it. For other points: color of tabs follows system color scheme; there's a plugin for Sublime-like minimap; different plugins for automatic bracketing, and autocompletion is supported too.
      Are you sure you're referring to the same program here? gvim (run as "vim -g" from the CLI) looks like something that came from the late 90s. It doesn't support things like plugins or tabs, or at least not that I'm aware of. Like I said before, there are several advanced text editors out there that are either based on vim or are vi-like, which support all the features I mentioned, so maybe you're referring to one of those?
      Also when I say tab colors, I mean customizable ones, that for example can be based on the language you're coding in. I for example regularly swap between 4 languages at any given time so color-coding them makes navigating the tabs a little bit easier.
      What "bells and whistles"? I feel like you're trying to make a point about gvim lacking something; but I just don't get it.
      I'm referring to all the features I just listed.

Comment

I didn't say it had a worse menu, just that it's basically vim with a few GUI shortcuts (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing).

Are you sure you're referring to the same program here? gvim (run as "vim -g" from the CLI) looks like something that came from the late 90s. It doesn't support things like plugins or tabs, or at least not that I'm aware of. Like I said before, there are several advanced text editors out there that are either based on vim or are vi-like, which support all the features I mentioned, so maybe you're referring to one of those?
        Yeah, I didn't know -g option, but vim -g runs GVim for me, so we are talking of the same editor.

If you just click the "File" menu, you shall see "Open tab…" option.

I feel like you're absolutely not familiar with vim. It's one of most popular editors, there's even stackexchange site for it. And ofc there're thousands of different plugins for this editor. E.g. here's your minimap https://github.com/severin-lemaignan/vim-minimap

Also when I say tab colors, I mean customizable ones, that for example can be based on the language you're coding in. I for example regularly swap between 4 languages at any given time so color-coding them makes navigating the tabs a little bit easier.
        Oh, okay, well, there's an answer mentioning gvim too, so it's likely possible https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...f-vims-tab-bar

I'm referring to all the features I just listed.
        Hmm, well, but it does. Did you mean perhaps that gvim doesn't have some of that out-of-the-box?

Comment

I feel like you're absolutely not familiar with vim. It's one of most popular editors, there's even stackexchange site for it. And ofc there're thousands of different plugins for this editor. E.g. here's your minimap https://github.com/severin-lemaignan/vim-minimap
          No, I'm mostly just unfamiliar with gvim because I've really only used vi(m) in a CLI. Again, gvim is just vim with some GUI shortcuts, so whatever plugins you add to it are vim plugins, not specifically gvim plugins (which is what I thought you meant). If you're wondering "what difference does it make?" it mostly comes down to how it integrates with the rest of your UI, particularly with the mouse (in the sense that the features are obviously designed with the mouse in mind). That being said, although I wasn't aware "plain vim" had a minimap plugin, it's not quite as good as what other tools have since it's text-based, and you need to go out of your way to get it. Though, it's still very impressive for what it is. I prefer minimaps in programs like Atom, where it's more detailed, colored, shows the range of highlighted text (whether it's in-view or not), and functions as a clickable scrollbar:
          https://i.github-camo.com/e08b894bb3...61773d74727565
          As a side note, there are programs like Oni, which is a GUI program that is vim-like but (to my knowledge) not based on vim. It has a more "modern" approach, and plugins that I doubt would work in vim.
          Hmm, well, but it does. Did you mean perhaps that gvim doesn't have some of that out-of-the-box?
          That, or being able to easily add plugins without the need of git, external repos, opening a web browser, getting additional dependencies, or recompiling. Vim being hugely popular and open source can do almost anything but it can be a little cumbersome to get it to do what other programs do. To me, the best attributes of vim (plain vim, not gvim or any variants) are its portability, minimalism, and ubiquity, and customizing it tarnishes that. For the record, if that's what you like, go ahead - I'm not judging. With other text editors or IDEs, all you have to do is either copy over a config folder or sign into your account and you're all set. vim obviously allows you to do this to some degree but still needs extra steps.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 25 March 2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Oh, okay, well, there's an answer mentioning gvim too, so it's likely possible https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...f-vims-tab-bar
            Sorry, I need to be more clear here: the link points out that tab colors can be scripted. And then, you bind this to an event, such as BufRead which seems to be run when a file is opened. There may be more ways, e.g. Idk if there's an event for when a syntax-highlight/indentation mode changed (I also don't know how "mode" is called in vim).

Again, I'm not a vim/gvim user, I'm Emacs user (even if with vim-mode), so I don't know a lot about vim internals. But I've used vim for various quick editing as well as an editor that I usually run to type a text from a browser or a mail client, so I know a bit. The event BufRead is something I just googled a minute ago.

Comment

No, I'm mostly just unfamiliar with gvim because I've really only used vi(m) in a CLI. Again, gvim is just vim with some GUI shortcuts, so whatever plugins you add to it are vim plugins, not specifically gvim plugins (which is what I thought you meant). If you're wondering "what difference does it make?" it mostly comes down to how it integrates with the rest of your UI, particularly with the mouse (in the sense that the features are obviously designed with the mouse in mind).
              There's stuff that specific either only to terminal vim or to gvim. E.g. in thread linked above, that is about colored tabs, the top answer mentions that changing color in vim and gvim requires setting different variables.

That being said, although I wasn't aware "plain vim" had a minimap plugin, it's not quite as good as what other tools have since it's text-based, and you need to go out of your way to get it. Though, it's still very impressive for what it is. I prefer minimaps in programs like Atom, where it's more detailed, colored, shows the range of highlighted text (whether it's in-view or not), and functions as a clickable scrollbar:
              https://i.github-camo.com/e08b894bb3...61773d74727565
              As a side note, there are programs like Oni, which is a GUI program that is vim-like but (to my knowledge) not based on vim. It has a more "modern" approach, and plugins that I doubt would work in vim.
              Beware that vim-like modes in IDEs has varying quality. E.g. it's pretty bad in Kate, and was absolutely terrible in MonoDevelop (and then they just removed it. The funny thing that it was just around the time I thought "okay, as I have to use it at work, how about getting the code and improving that?").

That, or being able to easily add plugins without the need of git, external repos, opening a web browser, getting additional dependencies, or recompiling. Vim being hugely popular and open source can do almost anything but it can be a little cumbersome to get it to do what other programs do. To me, the best attributes of vim (plain vim, not gvim or any variants) are its portability, minimalism, and ubiquity, and customizing it tarnishes that. For the record, if that's what you like, go ahead - I'm not judging. With other text editors or IDEs, all you have to do is either copy over a config folder or sign into your account and you're all set. vim obviously allows you to do this to some degree but still needs extra steps.
              Vim plugin manager is called "Vundle" if that's what you wanted. Your minimap in particular mentions in README that it can be installed with Vundle.

Comment

schmidtbag ah, btw, I just looked at Oni. It's based on neovim, so in some sense it is based on original Vim Because neovim is a fork from Vim.

Comment

To me nano will always remind me of this moment

CAN YOU MAKE US GO?

It's nice that they have been improving it, for me personally I just alias nano to open vim so I don't let myself be lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

for serious text editing you need a proper IDE not vi nor emacs
                    Yea? Why should I drop Emacs in preference of a far less featureful IDE? I can imagine, like, dozens of Emacs/Vim specific things that you commonly won't be able to do in IDE. And then, what does IDE offer? "goto definition", "rename variable", etc — well, with an LSP plugin you gonna get that functional in pretty much any editor.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post

why should I start emacs at all when for small on-the-fly changes nano is way smaller and for everything else i mount the server with sshfs anyways and work in eclipse, kate or whatever GUI tool suits my task?

"Emacs contains special code editing features, a scripting language (elisp), and the capability to read mail, news, and more without leaving the editor" well, that's what i have an operating systemd with a window manager for
                      I wasn't implying otherwise. Sure, for small edits anything goes (although "small" is a vague amount. If you edit more than a single line in a config, vim might speed up you work; but obviously you need to be proficient in it). And sure, if Eclipse suits you well, why should you be concerned about moving from it other than plain curiosity. I am not trying to recruit you into vim/emacs users, I simply reflected a specific thrust.

Comment

Working...
                      X