No announcement yet.

GNU Nano 4.0 Text Editor Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use nano for editing config files. vim doesn't come in the base package group on a lot of distros so it's often not worth it. The automatic line-wrapping has always been an annoyance so good to see they sorted it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I 100% agree. Nothing wrong with vim but seriously, it's just a text editor.
      I've used nano for years, because it's faster and easier to use. If I want the extra power, I'll use a graphical editor. Vim, to me, serves no advantage except if I need the advanced features on a system without a GUI.
      What does GUI have to do with it? Both nano and vim are character based, no? It's funny, I use vim because the commands are familiar to me, whereas nano is this confusing thing that I'm aware of but never have really used as I can't figure it out, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post
        I didn't think fans of Nano even existed o.O
        Let there be only Vim.
        Because Ubuntu ships with nano while vim needs to be installed manually.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          What does GUI have to do with it? Both nano and vim are character based, no?
          Yes, he means that you don't usually develop code over ssh in a server, so you don't really need the advanced featureset of Vim in a text-only system.
          While on a PC you can use GUI text editors and IDEs that are superior to Vim.

It's funny, I use vim because the commands are familiar to me, whereas nano is this confusing thing that I'm aware of but never have really used as I can't figure it out, lol.
          How in the fuck can you not figure out something (nano) that lists all available commands on the bottom of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
            How could you mistype emacs as vim? Nothing's better than an editor war on a sunny Sunday
            we are talking about text editors - not a whole OS here

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              How in the fuck can you not figure out something (nano) that lists all available commands on the bottom of the screen.
              Because it actually doesn't. It lists some of the available commands on the bottom of the screen. How do I concatenate the next line with the current line? How do bring up a shell to quickly check something, without exiting altogether? Even after reading the 'help' I can't find how these simple and frequently used operations are performed in nano.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 24 March 2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Nano is clone of Pico.

These are simple editors for simple tasks and beginners, so not comparable to Vim or Emacs with their much wider set of features, blah, blah...

Likely wrong unfair war here, kind of David vs Goliath

Comment

What does GUI have to do with it? Both nano and vim are character based, no? It's funny, I use vim because the commands are familiar to me, whereas nano is this confusing thing that I'm aware of but never have really used as I can't figure it out, lol.
                  GUI editors have more features than vim, and in other cases, allow you to do the same vim features without memorizing stuff like keyboard shortcuts or regex patterns.
                  Nano is as straight-forward as it gets. For the most part it works the same way as most graphical text editors except it has different keyboard shortcuts. But, it tells you what the keyboard shortcuts are at the bottom of the screen, so it's hard to screw it up. The only CLI text editor I've found to be easier is jed.
                  How do I concatenate the next line with the current line?
                  The same way you would with any graphical text editor... Go to the end of the line and press the delete key... It even responds to stuff like the Home, End, and Page Up/Down keys the same way as any other non-vi program. You're over-complicating it.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 24 March 2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I use nano every time I need to do quick non-complex changes to a file. It's simple enough. When I need to work, I use Emacs, because vim is kids' toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I am a Nano fan! Was never able to learn Vim, Nano rules!
                      Same here, have written millions of lines of code in nano over the years.

Comment

Working...
                      X