Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Nano 4.0 Text Editor Released

Phoronix: GNU Nano 4.0 Text Editor Released

For fans of GNU's Nano text editor, version 4.0 was released this Sunday where overlong lines are no longer automatically hard-wrapped, smooth scrolling has been enabled by default, and other improvements made...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I didn't think fans of Nano even existed o.O
    Let there be only Vim.

Comment

Been using nano ever since I can remember, sure I could use other editors but I guess it's habit. close to 20 years of using nano it does what it needs to for me.

Comment

This is a really awesome set of improvements. I love the nano editor. I use it all the time for quick edits.

Many of the changes made to the nano 4.0 default settings are changes which I have been manually applying in my nanorc anyway (namely: removing the gap under the title bar and disabling the automatic hard wrapping).

Thanks TEAM NANO!

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post
          Let there be only Vim.
          How could you mistype emacs as vim? Nothing's better than an editor war on a sunny Sunday

Comment

Nano? That's like a text editor with training wheels. For serious text editing, you need to use Vim.

Comment

I see we have the usual text editor elitism show it's not-so-pretty head whenever Nano is mentioned.

Seriously thou, from having used all three of he popular in-shell text editors (Nano, Vim and emacs) I've personally come to the conclusion that if you're going to editing files in the shell you're better off with a GUI editor/IDE and pulling in the files from outside if you're working with multiple files or doing something complex and if not then just use something as simple as possible. The simplest editor of course being Nano.

Don't agree with me? Well tough luck because I honestly just don't care. What works for me, well... Works for me.
              Last edited by L_A_G; 25 March 2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Nano is my guilty pleasure. I do use Emacs at home and Sublime at work and I keep telling myself I'll stop using Nano but somehow I still do when I'm making trivial changes. I don't know why. Uninstalling it would probably help... but those new features do sound nice.

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post
                  I didn't think fans of Nano even existed o.O
                  Let there be only Vim.
                  I am a Nano fan! Was never able to learn Vim, Nano rules!

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    I see we have the usual text editor elitism show it's not-so-pretty head whenever Nano is mentioned.

Seriously thou, from having used all three of he popular in-shell text (Nano, Vim and emacs) editors I've personally come to the conclusion that if you're going to editing files in the shell you're better off with a GUI editor/IDE and pulling in the files from outside if you're working with multiple files or doing something complex and if not then just use something as simple as possible. The simplest editor of course being Nano.

Don't agree with me? Well tough luck because I honestly just don't care. What works for me, well... Works for me.
                    I 100% agree. Nothing wrong with vim but seriously, it's just a text editor.
                    I've used nano for years, because it's faster and easier to use. If I want the extra power, I'll use a graphical editor. Vim, to me, serves no advantage except if I need the advanced features on a system without a GUI.

Comment

Working...
                    X