Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WireGuard Sent Out Again For Review, Might Make It Into Linux 5.2 Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WireGuard Sent Out Again For Review, Might Make It Into Linux 5.2 Kernel

    Phoronix: WireGuard Sent Out Again For Review, Might Make It Into Linux 5.2 Kernel

    WireGuard lead developer Jason Donenfeld has sent out the ninth version of the WireGuard secure network tunnel patches for review. If this review goes well and lands in net-next in the weeks ahead, this long-awaited VPN improvement could make it into the mainline Linux 5.2 kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...aybe-Linux-5.2

  • #2
    There are still objections to the zinc part: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/22/149 .
    Crypto maintainers even try to rewrite zinc to use old kernel crypto: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/22/61
    Linus is however on Jason side: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/22/1967

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm using wireguard already and I'm very content with it. It's performs wonderful

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FlawlessVolcano View Post
        There are still objections to the zinc part: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/22/149 .
        Crypto maintainers even try to rewrite zinc to use old kernel crypto: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/22/61
        Linus is however on Jason side: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/22/1967
        An 70€ Device (ZyXEL NBG6617) performs at 480 MBit/sec with Wireguard, just forget the "external" accelerators.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dibal View Post
          An 70€ Device (ZyXEL NBG6617) performs at 480 MBit/sec with Wireguard, just forget the "external" accelerators.
          That's not a weak device by any means though, it has a quadcore ARM A7 running at 656 Mhz. But still, wireguard is plenty fast on low end routers too.

          A similar device that comes with wireguard already in stock firmware (as it's using OpenWrt as a base) is BL-1300 from GL.inet https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-b1300/

          Comment


          • #6
            I try to follow wireguard tutorial how to set connection but...is it alike VPN? or just for peer-to-peer connections? can I set general internet wifi connection thru wireguard not having buy any paid VPN provider?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Psg80 View Post
              I try to follow wireguard tutorial how to set connection but...is it alike VPN? or just for peer-to-peer connections? can I set general internet wifi connection thru wireguard not having buy any paid VPN provider?
              It is VPN. You have to pay for a VPN provider that offers WireGuard (like Mullvad), or run WireGuard on your own server. Then you install the client utilities to connect to it and your general internet Wi-Fi will connect through WireGuard.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Psg80 View Post
                I try to follow wireguard tutorial how to set connection but...is it alike VPN? or just for peer-to-peer connections? can I set general internet wifi connection thru wireguard not having buy any paid VPN provider?
                It is a VPN protocol, you need at least another device running Wireguard to act as a endpoint.
                If you read that it says peer-to-peer, it means that it is not a centralized system with a defined server and a defined client, so if you have many devices using wireguard they will tak to each other directly as long as they can see each other on the internet (this will matter with IPv6, eventually). While in a client-server system like OpenVPN any communication between clients has to move through the server.

                In a normal IPv4 network you need at least one Wireguard device that is publicly accessible that will become a "server", so you need a public IP for the very least.

                If you buy a router that runs OpenWrt (or any device from GL. Inet with the latest or with the beta firmware) you can set up a Wireguard server in your home easily (if you have a way to get a public IP for your home connection)
                see https://danrl.com/blog/2017/luci-proto-wireguard/ for openwrt
                and this for GL.Inet devices https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/3/app/wireguard/

                Comment

                Working...
                X