Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SVT-AV1 Can Now Achieve 1080p @ 60 FPS AV1 Video Encoding On Select Configurations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT-AV1 Can Now Achieve 1080p @ 60 FPS AV1 Video Encoding On Select Configurations

Phoronix: SVT-AV1 Can Now Achieve 1080p @ 60 FPS AV1 Video Encoding On Select Configurations

The performance out of Intel's SVT video encoders for offering great CPU-based video encoding performance for the likes of HEVC / AV1 / VP9 continues maturing quite nicely. Since discovering Intel's open-source work at the start of February and benchmarking it several times since, its performance has continued to improve particularly for the SVT-AV1 encoder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Almost good enough for real time transcoding my 60fps AMVs

Comment

Nice, and the decoders? How they are doing?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        That is a real concern to the end user,
        But encoding targets higher hardware, just my thoughts..

Comment

There is a very good open source AV1 decoder called Dav1d. It is already implemented in VLC and Firefox.

Comment

And how's the quality when compared to the reference encoder?

Comment

In Firefox (nightly at the least) you can force to use dav1d, in about:config and searching for AV1, and then you access youtube.com/testtube to force AV1 in all videos.

I didn't see any difference in the videos besides not having any HD video uploaded on YouTube in AV1, don't know if it is checking something and not showing any of those higher resolution to me

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                That is a real concern to the end user,
                But encoding targets higher hardware, just my thoughts..
                Dav1d is still getting faster, and it's fast enough to decode video at an acceptable framerate, and at the sorts of resolutions you'd expect to be connected to the machines it runs on. That is, at least when it comes to AMD64 systems. On ARMv8 it is running acceptably fast in some limited configurations.

Comment

I didn't see any difference in the videos besides not having any HD video uploaded on YouTube in AV1, don't know if it is checking something and not showing any of those higher resolution to me
                  That is only for some videos. Very very popular videos (as well as some select known videos) show up with 1080p, mostly music videos and such, and only a considerable number of hours after they are initially posted.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
                    And how's the quality when compared to the reference encoder?
                    Probably terrible : https://www.reddit.com/r/AV1/comment...rible_quality/

Comment

Working...
                    X