Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19 Kernel Benchmarks On The Raspberry Pi

Phoronix: Linux 4.19 Kernel Benchmarks On The Raspberry Pi

With the Raspberry Pi Foundation recently having begun rolling out a Linux 4.19-based kernel to Raspberry Pi boards, here are some benchmarks looking at the performance of two Raspberry Pi systems with the new Linux 4.19 kernel compared to its previous 4.14 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lol, nevermind.
    Last edited by Guest; 13 March 2019, 07:23 AM. Reason: Misread the graphs...

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
      Nice to see they're still squeezing more performance out of this little bugger.
      What article were you reading?

Comment

Golang's HTTP performance was also slightly lower on the new kernel.
        [strike]That should be slightly higher, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell [/strike]
        Edit: They were, lower is better on this one, my bad
        Last edited by M@yeulC; 13 March 2019, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's faster.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Orange pi boards are cheaper and beyond rasperry pi boards. Used laptops cost the same as orange/rasperry pi systems. Android tv boxes can run Debian and they include cases and power units. For embedded development arduino and mbed boards suit better.
            The last time the Orange Pi and similar boards were tested here, most ran some ancient kernel (some even 3.xx!). Some of these kernels are full of binary blobs with no hope of much support and updating (Yeah Tegra, looking at you!). Have any of these "Raspberry killers" reached a state, where you can expect to run newer upstream kernels etc. in a few years time?

Comment

I last updated my Raspbian in late 2017 (probably november/dezember, but I can't remembere the kernel version). Will I get relevant performance improvements updating it to 4.19 or will it be like this benchmark which shows equal to lower performance?

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
                I last updated my Raspbian in late 2017 (probably november/dezember, but I can't remembere the kernel version). Will I get relevant performance improvements updating it to 4.19 or will it be like this benchmark which shows equal to lower performance?
                You'll likely see little difference unless you do something that hits one of the few areas where performance has regressed. What you will get is improved secruity--which may or may not matter in your application.

But, on a side note, if you're worried about performance, using a raspberry pi board was not the way to go in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

What article were you reading?
                  Haha, I guess I was sleepy and my wishful thinking was always inverting the direction of "more is better". Damn, what happened with 4.19?!

Comment

RPI was not affected by Meltdown/Spectre, so most of interesting security mitigations for else do nothing for RPi

They just plan on updating to next annual longterm kernel, was 4.4, then 4.9, now 4.14, will be this 4.19... in future something based on Debian 10 could be expected and kernel 5.3 (if we could guess what next longterm will be) and so on

Maybe by the time there will be Half Life 3 already... OK, RPi 4
                    Last edited by dungeon; 13 March 2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X