Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT4 & Btrfs Get Additional Fixes With Linux 5.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EXT4 & Btrfs Get Additional Fixes With Linux 5.1

    Phoronix: EXT4 & Btrfs Get Additional Fixes With Linux 5.1

    Ted Ts'o sent in the main EXT4 feature pull request today for the Linux 5.1 kernel merge window while David Sterba sent in a secondary batch of Btrfs material...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...inux-5.1-Fixes

  • #2
    Dedupe...

    Comment


    • #3
      Is btrfs supporting dedupe natively now?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by geearf View Post
        Is btrfs supporting dedupe natively now?
        What do you mean by natively? 'online' dedupe like zfs?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by treba View Post

          What do you mean by natively? 'online' dedupe like zfs?
          I meant without using additional userspace tools, like autodefrag vs btrfs fi defrag.

          Comment


          • #6
            for the time being it provides support for offline deduplication.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dreich View Post
              for the time being it provides support for offline deduplication.
              I prefer offline deduplication. Online requires enormous amounts of memory and misses potential dedup opportunities when databases are cleared (typically after reboot, where the database is stored in RAM).

              Tools like dupremove can be set to run on a schedule, use low disk priority, and store their databases on disk which allows even low-memory machines to efficiently dedup large volumes.

              I'm an enterprise Oracle ZFS customer, and have requested they add userspace tools to do this. I'd rather my precious and expensive enterprise storage DRAM be used for cache to speed up IO, and not for storing dedup information.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by geearf View Post

                I meant without using additional userspace tools, like autodefrag vs btrfs fi defrag.
                There's an experimental branch of Lu Fengqi here https://github.com/littleroad/linux/tree/dedupe_latest , if you are brave enough to test it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cynic View Post

                  There's an experimental branch of Lu Fengqi here https://github.com/littleroad/linux/tree/dedupe_latest , if you are brave enough to test it!
                  I definitely am not

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    I definitely am not


                    It looks promising right now, but maybe not enough to be tested on a working machine!
                    I'm looking forward to give it a try on a test box as soon as I have some spare time.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X