No announcement yet.

SVT-AV1 Performance Continues Speeding Ahead, Xeon/EPYC Video Encode Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT-AV1 Performance Continues Speeding Ahead, Xeon/EPYC Video Encode Benchmarks

Phoronix: SVT-AV1 Performance Continues Speeding Ahead, Xeon/EPYC Video Encode Benchmarks

The recently open-sourced Intel video encoders for VP9, AV1, and HEVC under the "Streaming Video Technology" (SVT) umbrella continue looking very positive especially for the newer VP9/AV1 video formats...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it single threaded?
    Why is EPYC higher than 2x EPYC?

Comment

Have you actually check the resulting video file to see if anything was produced? The reason I am asking is because yesterday I built the latest SVT HEVC encoder from git on a Ubuntu system and followed the sample command line to try and encode a wmv source using ffmpeg to pipe the file to SVT but even though the encode seemed to go fine, and fast, nothing was produced, there was no output file.

Can you share the command line your software is using to run these encoding tests?

Comment

Is everything else equal? Output size, movement tracking quality, introduction of artefacts, etc...

You can't just compare encoders by how long they take. That's worthless unless they're generating the same quality content.

Comment

An output quality comparison would be nice.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I agree with everyone here pointing out that quality also matters. Except that for AV1, speed is all that matters right now – 18 fps on 2 × Xeon Gold is obviously no cigar.

But let me point out that a lot of speed can potentially be had by flipping some switches in the encoder. Here is the speed/quality curve for the AV1 reference encoder (as measured by streamingmedia.com) – as shown, you can drop encoding time down to 5% and keep 99% of the quality:

The sweet spot is pretty much the fastest setting. Guess what the default is…
            Last edited by andreano; 12 March 2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X