Linux 5.0-ad1 Patch Lets You Build The Kernel With "-march=native"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.0-ad1 Patch Lets You Build The Kernel With "-march=native"

Phoronix: Linux 5.0-ad1 Patch Lets You Build The Kernel With "-march=native"

While the upstream Linux kernel developers may not be interested in adding all of the CPU compiler tuning optimizations carried by Gentoo for their kernel builds, if you are after just "-march=native" compiler tuning to optimize your kernel build for the CPU being used, an updated patch is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So much noise just because someone can't stand that his kernel is not "OMG optimized"...

Comment

Michael according to the mailing list it requires an intel cpu (x86_64).... In the most cases native will be just "replaced" by gcc with the underlying cpu instructions sets. So it will also work with e.g.: But maybe there are some more tweaks which might be good on intel but bad on other cpus?
      Requirements: Intel CPU x86_64 arch

mh edit on the otherhand ...below there can be found this line:

@@ -287,6 +287,12 @@ config GENERIC_CPU Generic x86-64 CPU. Run equally well on all x86-64 CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
        So much noise just because someone can't stand that his kernel is not "OMG optimized"...
        yeah, that and even a previous article here has sown it did not help much? And one could not add cpu=native to the Makefile / CFLAGS manually before?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

yeah, that and even a previous article here has sown it did not help much? And one could not add cpu=native to the Makefile / CFLAGS manually before?
          It will help when you decide you're done with Intel and want to switch to AMD (or vice-versa) and your system doesn't start anymore because of some arcane optimization

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It will help when you decide you're done with Intel and want to switch to AMD (or vice-versa) and your system doesn't start anymore because of some arcane optimization
            Live-cd, chroot, kernel recompile, reboot. I mean seriously, tis but a scratch for these superior beings.

#theGentooWay #compilingForLife #CFLAGS

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

yeah exactly, I had this once, when I need an old laptop for digital audio capture (Core2Duo MacBook), since then I build my portable #t2sde SSDE w/ just core2duo optimisation and yetscan stream FullHD OBS w/ 30fps at 2% cpu load on an AMD Ryzen 2700 ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhTPHpnIgc

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Live-cd, chroot, kernel recompile, reboot.
                You mean "world recompile"...

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

You mean "world recompile"...
                  Yeah I'm not a Gentoo user myself.

Comment

Would you “world recompile” from the livecd? It would take longer as the compile tool chain is not running optimised.
                    I’m not a Gentoo user either, but I would assume you recompile the kernel and build tool chain (libc, gcc, etc); reboot and then world recompile.

Comment

Working...
                    X