ZFS On Linux 0.7.13 Released With Fixes For Linux 5.0 Kernel Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS On Linux 0.7.13 Released With Fixes For Linux 5.0 Kernel Compatibility

Phoronix: ZFS On Linux 0.7.13 Released With Fixes For Linux 5.0 Kernel Compatibility

While we are very much looking forward to the huge ZFS On Linux 0.8 release, as a new stable release for offering up compatibility with the newly minted Linux 5.0 is now the ZoL 0.7.13 milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd like to see some benchmarks on how the ZoL 0.7.13 release runs on the 5.0 kernel compared with 4.20.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
      I'd like to see some benchmarks on how the ZoL 0.7.13 release runs on the 5.0 kernel compared with 4.20.
      AFAIK, no real performance changes are expected for 4.20 vs. 5.0?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

AFAIK, no real performance changes are expected for 4.20 vs. 5.0?
        Well I'm no expert in kernel programming, but the fix that the ZoL developers described makes it sound to me like there could be a significant performance hit:

The 5.0 kernel no longer exports the functions we need to vector
        (SSE/SSE2/SSE3/AVX...) instructions. Disable vector-based checksum
        algorithms when building against those kernels.
        It would also be interesting to throw FreeBSD 12 into the ZFS benchmarking mix.

Comment

But shouldn't it get benchmarked against 4.19? I thought 4.20 already contains these "fixes"...

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
            But shouldn't it get benchmarked against 4.19? I thought 4.20 already contains these "fixes"...
            Exactly. Michael can you please run some benchmarks?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
              The stuff I've read about the issue mentions 5.0 as the affected kernel. I didn't realize the changes were already in 4.20, but I do see the previous ZoL release only supported through 4.19.

Comment

the ZoL code checks if the new broken behaviour is there or not rather than Linux version. So if you fix your linux kernel source then the performance regression should be able to be bypassed. That said, it's in the checksumming code that the CPU optimisations are used predominantly afaik, which already run damn fast, so it's probably cpu usage %, power usage that goes up.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
                  the ZoL code checks if the new broken behaviour is there or not rather than Linux version. So if you fix your linux kernel source then the performance regression should be able to be bypassed. That said, it's in the checksumming code that the CPU optimisations are used predominantly afaik, which already run damn fast, so it's probably cpu usage %, power usage that goes up.
                  Yeah, I wondered if the benchmarks would look the same but the CPU usage goes up. I will also be curious to know if Ubuntu would modify their kernel to allow ZoL that access.

Comment

Working...
                  X