Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZFS On Linux 0.7.13 Released With Fixes For Linux 5.0 Kernel Compatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ZFS On Linux 0.7.13 Released With Fixes For Linux 5.0 Kernel Compatibility

    Phoronix: ZFS On Linux 0.7.13 Released With Fixes For Linux 5.0 Kernel Compatibility

    While we are very much looking forward to the huge ZFS On Linux 0.8 release, as a new stable release for offering up compatibility with the newly minted Linux 5.0 is now the ZoL 0.7.13 milestone...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....7.13-Released

  • #2
    I'd like to see some benchmarks on how the ZoL 0.7.13 release runs on the 5.0 kernel compared with 4.20.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
      I'd like to see some benchmarks on how the ZoL 0.7.13 release runs on the 5.0 kernel compared with 4.20.
      AFAIK, no real performance changes are expected for 4.20 vs. 5.0?
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post

        AFAIK, no real performance changes are expected for 4.20 vs. 5.0?
        Well I'm no expert in kernel programming, but the fix that the ZoL developers described makes it sound to me like there could be a significant performance hit:

        The 5.0 kernel no longer exports the functions we need to vector
        (SSE/SSE2/SSE3/AVX...) instructions. Disable vector-based checksum
        algorithms when building against those kernels.
        It would also be interesting to throw FreeBSD 12 into the ZFS benchmarking mix.

        Comment


        • #5
          But shouldn't it get benchmarked against 4.19? I thought 4.20 already contains these "fixes"...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
            But shouldn't it get benchmarked against 4.19? I thought 4.20 already contains these "fixes"...
            Exactly. Michael can you please run some benchmarks?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
              But shouldn't it get benchmarked against 4.19? I thought 4.20 already contains these "fixes"...
              The stuff I've read about the issue mentions 5.0 as the affected kernel. I didn't realize the changes were already in 4.20, but I do see the previous ZoL release only supported through 4.19.

              Comment


              • #8
                the ZoL code checks if the new broken behaviour is there or not rather than Linux version. So if you fix your linux kernel source then the performance regression should be able to be bypassed. That said, it's in the checksumming code that the CPU optimisations are used predominantly afaik, which already run damn fast, so it's probably cpu usage %, power usage that goes up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mercutio View Post
                  the ZoL code checks if the new broken behaviour is there or not rather than Linux version. So if you fix your linux kernel source then the performance regression should be able to be bypassed. That said, it's in the checksumming code that the CPU optimisations are used predominantly afaik, which already run damn fast, so it's probably cpu usage %, power usage that goes up.
                  Yeah, I wondered if the benchmarks would look the same but the CPU usage goes up. I will also be curious to know if Ubuntu would modify their kernel to allow ZoL that access.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X