Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Linux 5.0 Kernel Day Followed By The Start Of Linux 5.1

Phoronix: It's Linux 5.0 Kernel Day Followed By The Start Of Linux 5.1

Before the day is through Linus Torvalds is expected to officially release the Linux 5.0 kernel and immediately following that he'll be kicking off the Linux 5.1 kernel cycle by the opening of the two-week-long merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am i the only one kind of "Meh... whatever" about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Cybmax View Post
      Honestly, I've felt that way about kernel releases for a while now. Just seems like there is a new version every other month and I find it difficult to be excited for all of them. Somewhere around 4.15/4.16 is where new kernels weren't exciting anymore.

I say that and uname -r shows 5.0.0-rc1-amd-staging-drm-next-git-b8cd95e15410+ (which works just fine with zfs from git).

Comment

Usually I'm not too excited about kernel releases, but FreeSync really is nice.

Apart from that, I wouldn't want to miss the constant and more subtle improvements either.

Comment

No, I don't see anything too exciting for myself either so same.

Comment

happy happy joy joy ! Looking forward to reviewing my .config #BringIt

Comment

How do i activate Freesync and also activate it for my DE?

Comment

What excited you about previous kernel releases? If you don't have an interest in kernel development it makes sense that you don't care about these releases.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

Usually I'm not too excited about kernel releases, but FreeSync really is nice.

Apart from that, I wouldn't want to miss the constant and more subtle improvements either.
                  since when are performance regression "subtle improvements"?

Comment

I was talking about kernel updates in general. Feel free to not update.

Comment

Working...
                    X