Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juno View Post
    Feel free to not update.
    that sounds like something someone who runs a botnet would say.

Comment

I was talking about kernel updates in general. Feel free to not update.
      performance regressions not being fixed since 3.. but whatever.

Comment

There's some good stuff for AMD guys in there, but given the bugs in the last few releases (EXT4 bug comes to mind) I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post
          that sounds like something someone who runs a botnet would say.
          There are plenty supported pre 5.0 kernels and will be for years to come.

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          performance regressions not being fixed since 3.. but whatever.
          But you do know that more functionality and security mitigations do cost performance? But whatever.

Kernel performance ain't that big of a problem. It's not a relevant disadvantage compared to other OSes and neither do a lot of people seem to care or complain. Have you considered contributing?

Comment

There are plenty supported pre 5.0 kernels and will be for years to come.

But you do know that more functionality and security mitigations do cost performance? But whatever.

Kernel performance ain't that big of a problem. It's not a relevant disadvantage compared to other OSes and neither do a lot of people seem to care or complain. Have you considered contributing?
            it matters a great deal... maybe not for general desktop workloads but for gaming and server performance it goes the down the drain.

Comment

In case you misunderstood, I haven't said performance doesn't matter. But there is absolutely no issue with the kernel's performance for serious gaming. And with Linux still being the top choice for servers, your argument is invalid.

Comment

In case you misunderstood, I haven't said performance doesn't matter. But there is absolutely no issue with the kernel's performance for serious gaming. And with Linux still being the top choice for servers, your argument is invalid.
                True, the kernel performs well enough for gaming... its just other stuff that causes problems

Comment

Working...
                X