Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Interesting Highlights To The Linux 5.0 Kernel

Phoronix: The Most Interesting Highlights To The Linux 5.0 Kernel

With the Linux 5.0 kernel due out within the next week or two, here's a look back at the biggest end-user facing changes for this kernel release that started out as Linux 4.21...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Freesync is like on off between min vrr and max vrr with RX570 and latest open source drivers. No values between according to the monitor built in refreshed rate counter . Have any other user noticed the same?
    I'd be surprised if many others have tried. I'll give it a go once the necessary packages hit Arch repos.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
      I'd be surprised if many others have tried. I'll give it a go once the necessary packages hit Arch repos.
      I tried a couple of times in the past but could not make it work at all.

Comment

I'm sad the only interesting point on this for me is the mice, it's been quite a while since I got really excited about a new kernel :/

Comment

Btrfs was mostly stable for me, for years. Yet btrfs partition died twice this month, first time with Linux 5.0rc4 and second time with Linux 5.0rc6, moreover second time btrfs refuse to mount partition even in read-only mode. I hope that because my SSD is dying or issues between NVME and eGPU connected via TB3, or something like that, otherwise btrfs in Linux 5.0 is unstable beyond anything I seen before.

Comment

RussianNeuroMancer "I hope that because my SSD is dying or issues between NVME and eGPU connected via TB3, or something like that, otherwise btrfs in Linux 5.0 is unstable beyond anything I seen before."

Are any NVMe drives old enough to be dying yet? I hope that's more to do with you using RC versions.

geearf "it's been quite a while since I got really excited about a new kernel :/"

I just wonder how many things will break now. I'm considering stepping out of Fedora to get out of mainline hell. Using the latest versions has certainly become better over the last years, but it's still the most buggy software on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post
              Are any NVMe drives old enough to be dying yet? I hope that's more to do with you using RC versions.
              If they are Samsung, they can die from day one, they don't need to get old.

More seriously, firmware issues could do that.

But it's an rc kernel so all bets are off on what is broken.

Comment

RussianNeuroMancer "I hope that because my SSD is dying or issues between NVME and eGPU connected via TB3, or something like that, otherwise btrfs in Linux 5.0 is unstable beyond anything I seen before."

Aside from a Samung 950 PRO that died prematurely on me, I've only had 2 or 3 off-brand NVMe drives die on me so far.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I had a 500GB Western Digital Black series that was DOA. Replacement unit has been fine over 6 months.

Comment

Are any NVMe drives old enough to be dying yet?
                    This one is not old for sure, but SSD could die regardless of it's age. For example SanDisk SD6SP1M128G1012 (OEM SSD in Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140) died two times (but it was replaced under Dell's warranty) and third death is going on right now (it's not always recognized at boot, and sometimes throw ATA errors to dmesg). I realize that if underlying device is not reliable, FS can't do anything about it, however, this time with btrfs partition that was corrupted twice there seems like no indication of SSD or other hardware-related issues in dmesg. But, maybe I missing something, so I switched to 4.20 for now - let's see if btrfs partition survive another month.

Comment

Working...
                    X