KASAN Spots Another Kernel Vulnerability From Early Linux 2.6 Through 4.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    I consider it Communist, in the sense that the state still controls the means of production. Sure, it has markets, but the State controls the flow of capital, investments, subsidies, etc. and has very mercantilist policies.
    In that sense most, if not, all, western countries (including the USA) are communist to. The state uses the following mechanisms to control the market:
    • legislation & licensing (usually favours some businesses over others and almost always favours bigger businesses over smaller businesses)
    • crony capitalism (companies get special deals or favours from the state; e.g. contract work)
    • copyright & patent law (both violations of actual property rights and in the case of patents: they heavily favour large businesses over small businesses).
    • central banking (one half of almost every transaction is performed using state-controlled money. If you control the money you have massive control over the market by adjusting things like: the rate of issuance, interest rates (inter-bank lending rate), minimum reserve percentage that commercial banks must have and even through what they call "open market operations" (this is where the state controlled bank literally buys and sells on the market to fuck with the market in the way they deem "best")
    I personally have concluded that western countries have economies with elements of both communism and capitalism, but infact they are not either.

Comment

Put shortly, U.S troops invade but eventually they would go home.

Communist regimes invade, annex, put you to death/deport, colonize the 'liberated' territory.

Comment

This thread reminds me that some people actually, truly, defend North Korea and how "it's not as bad as the USA has you believe" (lol) and all that jazz.

It's simple. They hate the USA because it killed their dog, and go see greener pastures in the "enemy".

Comment

Weasel It is a sympthom of having been living in a prosperous society without external threat. It has a way of distorting how one perceives the world. And it causes people to generate stupid ideas and world views.. Because there is no 'Darwinian factor' correcting them by elimination.

Takes a war or internal/external existential threat - and it would sort itself out.

Comment

Semiconductors, internet ...etc are developed for military porpoises, have no idea why the public forgot this. Yes , the have grrat civil addoption, but the're still weapons. Its close to mind that everyone with capability will try to benefit from them. You can't blame Chinese or other for that.

The real question is why Huawei and other China government backed companies have better tech than the western counterparts.

10 yrs ago everybody laught at the Chinnese peasants and how they're undeveloped. Looks like the fun is over. I will go further - Chinnese have no mercy to themselves - do you think they will show it to the others
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Dedobot View Post
              Semiconductors, internet ...etc are developed for military porpoises
              ​​​​​​
              Holy fucking shit sticks, why has no one told me about these military porpoises before?? I'm not worried about China or the US anymore. I live on an island (surrounded by the sea no less) and now I find out there is a godamn aquatic army ??

Even if I stay out of the water they will still be able to DDOS me what with their ICs and internet and all. Although it is a small relief that salt water probably hampers their technological capabilities somewhat
              Last edited by Murple; 23 February 2019, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                Put shortly, U.S troops invade but eventually they would go home.

Communist regimes invade, annex, put you to death/deport, colonize the 'liberated' territory.
                The USA certainly meddles in Central America, the Middle East, and has a history of imperial conquests in the Pacific. They like to build and maintain military bases around the world.

On the other hand, China is currently annexing the South China Sea. Their Belt & Road program is best viewed through the lenses of neo colonialism, by forcing developing countries into indentured servitude. They even provide training for leaders of these countries to help them align with Chinese policies and keep a lid on civil unrest. In the 21st century, China's #1 export will be totalitarianism.

Comment

Weasel It is a sympthom of having been living in a prosperous society without external threat. It has a way of distorting how one perceives the world. And it causes people to generate stupid ideas and world views.. Because there is no 'Darwinian factor' correcting them by elimination.

Takes a war or internal/external existential threat - and it would sort itself out.
                  I don't see a real upside to the fear of terrorism and wars in Afghanistan and Iraq as experienced by the USA, over the past two decades.

IMO, a lot of bad human behavior comes from fear. Even at a national level - partnering with dictators, staging coups, etc. Autocrats are very adept at manipulating fear to serve their own ends.
                  Last edited by coder; 23 February 2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I don't see a real upside to the fear of terrorism and wars in Afghanistan and Iraq as experienced by the USA, over the past two decades.
                    Really? I can give you few. First, after U.S invaded AFG and kicked the shit out of Taliban and terrorists had to retreat into high mountains - Heroin/Opium trade into Europe through Russia dropped to nearly nothing.
                    Second. Good offense is the best defense. Always. It's better to fight on foreign soil than on your own. Between 9/11 (including it) and pulling combat troops out of AFG (2001-2014), U.S had about 18-19 Islamic-motivated terrorist attacks on U.S mainland. A lot? Well, between 2015-today, there's been about dozen more, which means 2/3 as many over just 4 years. It's open source information.
                    Conclusion: it's better to wage war away from home, instead of counting dead among wreckage in your own cities.

IMO, a lot of bad human behavior comes from fear. Even at a national level - partnering with dictators, staging coups, etc. Autocrats are very adept at manipulating fear to serve their own ends.
                    Fear, greed, thirst of power, religious convictions, sex drive, hatred - take your pick, combine any with any

Leaving idealism aside. Many countries do not have enough mature political culture. There's no other option than just getting one autocrat or other on top, one corrupt aparachnik or other et cetera. Our style of government requires few hundred years of preceding political tradition, specific accepted moral values and non-tribal attitude. People have to think of themselves as citizens of a country, not as members of a tribe x, y or z.

Might as well then choose one autocrat aligning with our country's interests. We all have seen how experiment of "let's export democracy" ended up in Iraq. After first honest elections, winners (shia minority) did all they could to block kurds, sunnis etc from having any say or participation. It ended up with the rise of ISIS - which was created on the basis of same out-of-job sunni Iraqis.

There's no point trying to get democracy work in most African countries. It would inevitably end up with some tribal leader on top stealing all for himself and his relatives. It's moral thing for him to do, from his POV - all he cares about really, is his tribe and his/it's pockets.. And guaranteed corruption is the reason why inhabitants of this rich continent live for the most part, in total poverty.

So, what would you prefer? U.S not having anything to do with 3/4 of the world and letting other, less scrupulous countries meddle as they wish?

Comment

after U.S invaded AFG and kicked the shit out of Taliban and terrorists had to retreat into high mountains - Heroin/Opium trade into Europe through Russia dropped to nearly nothing.
                      LOL -- and yet it skyrocketed in the US. So , so great.

Comment

Working...
                      X